Information for owner builders
Owner builders are fully responsible for their building project
As an owner builder, you are carrying out building work without engaging a registered builder. This means you are responsible for:
- obtaining planning and building permits and approvals
- supervising or doing the building work
- ensuring the work meets building regulations and standards.
You must obtain the correct permits and approvals before works start.
Being an owner builder means carefully managing your building project from start to finish. You must arrange for building inspections as required by law at particular stages of the building work.
What you must do before starting works
You must obtain the relevant permits and permissions listed below before building works start.
- You must apply for and be issued with the relevant planning permits and be named as the owner builder on those permits.
- You need to investigate whether you need a building permit for the works you are planning to do. If you do, you will need to apply for and be issued with the relevant building permits. It is your responsibility to ensure that the work meets building regulations, standards and other laws. so we encourage you to engage a registered draftsperson or architect as part of this process.
- You must apply for and be issued with an asset protection permit
Other permits, permissions and things to consider
- Depending on where you are planning to build, you may need to pay the community infrastructure levy. You need to pay this before buildiing works start.
- Info about finding your legal point of discharge
- Are you building over an easement?
- Are you building in a bushfire prone or flood prone area?
Display clear identification out the front
Once works have started, you must have a display out the front of the land that shows the:
- building permit number
- building surveyor details
- builder details.
Please make sure you have a copy of your building permit available for inspection at all times.
Rules and responsibilities of being an owner builder
For information go to the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) website
Insurance requirements: VMIA website
General owner builder advice: Consumer Affairs Victoria website