Preparing for floods and storms
Stay updated on potential flooding and storm events
Preparing for flood and storm events
There are simple and practical steps you can take to protect yourself, the people you love, and the things you value most. Do one simple thing – create an emergency plan using RediPlan or the Get Prepared app.
It’s not just homes that can be affected by flooding. If your business close to a river, creek, major storm drain or in a low-lying area, then you may be at risk.
For information on preparing your business for flooding events visit the VICSES website
Floods, storms and landslides after bushfires
Bushfires can have long-lasting impacts on the natural environment, increasing the dangers from floods and storms, and the chance of landslides. For information please the flood, storms and landslides after bushfire factsheet or visit the VICSES website
If you notice considerable changes to the landscape that may indicate movement, contact the landowner, road authority or Council immediately. For emergency assistance from VICSES, call 132 500 or Triple Zero (000) in life threatening emergencies.
What to do in the event of a landslide
You need to act quickly if a landslide occurs:
- If you are outside: Move away quickly and keep clear of embankments, trees, powerlines and poles.
- If you are inside: Move to the part of the building that is furthest away from the approaching landslide and take shelter under a table or bench.
- Stay away from the landslide: The slope may continue to move for hours to days afterwards.
Local flood guides
The link above will take you to information including:
- Cardinia Shire's flood history
- Flood guides for Koo Wee Rup and Pakenham
- Council's Municipal Emergency Storm and Flood Plan
- Locations of SES units in Cardinia Shire
Emergency assistance during flood and storm events
The Victoria State Emergency Service is the control agency for flood, storm, landslide, tsunami and earthquake emergencies. For a guide to understand when, why and how to call the SES for assistance please see the VICSES Factsheet or visit the VICSES website.
In regard to damage to trees during a storm event please visit Council's Report a problem with a tree page.
If you want to get sandbags to protect your property, visit your local hardware store. In an emergency contact VICSES on 132 500.
Municipal storm, flood and dam safety plans
Privately owned dams that have some risk if they fail, must be licensed by a water corporation.