Total fire ban in Cardinia Shire - Wednesday 22 January

The bush tracks in Emerald Lake Park and Nobelius Heritage Park are closed today due to the severe Fire Danger Rating. The rest of the parks remain open. For more information on Total Fire Ban restrictions visit the CFA website. >

Find zones, overlays and strategic planning documents for a property

How you can use or develop a block of land or property, and which permits you need, depends on: 

  • which zone your property is in 
  • if any overlays apply to it
  • whether any particular provisions apply to your land or the way you want to develop it. (These are other planning requirements which apply to particular uses or development, such as advertising signs, car parking and native vegetation rules. These provisions generally apply in addition to the requirements of a zone or overlay.)

These are all outlined in the Cardinia Planning Scheme, a document prepared by Council and approved by the Victorian Government. 

Strategic plans and policies, once incorporated, also form part of the Planning Scheme structure. You can find out if any strategic plans apply to a property using the tool on this page. 

Every parcel of land in Victoria is in a zone. The zone provides rules as to how that land can be used and developed.

Types of zones in include:

  • residential zones (such as the Low Density Residential Zone, Mixed Use Zone, General Residential Zone and Neighbourhood Residential Zone) 
  • industrial zones 
  • commercial zones 
  • rural zones (such as the Rural Living Zone, Green Wege Zone, Green Wedge A Zone, Rural Conservation Zone and Farming Zone) 
  • public land zones (such as the Public Use Zone, Public Park and Recreation Zone, Public Conservation and Resource Zone, and Road Zone)
  • special purpose zones (such as the Special Use Zone, Comprehensive Development Zone, Urban Floodway Zone and Urban Growth Zone). 

Zoning helps to avoid conflicts between different types of land uses and ensure that development is appropriate for an area.

These operate in addition to zones. An overlay protects characteristics or concerns that are unique or important to a particular geographical area or property, such as: 

  • environmental 
  • landscape
  • vegetation (tree) protection 
  • land management 
  • heritage
  • bushfire
  • erosion management
  • flood issues.

Not all land is subject to an overlay. If an overlay applies to a parcel of land, it may specify additional requirements in relation to subdivisions, buildings and works, vegetation removal and other matters.

Overlays in Cardinia Shire are commonly used to help protect our significant environment and landscape features, protect important attributes of our townships and neighbourhoods, and respond to risks and hazards such as bushfire and flooding. As a result, sometimes more than one overlay will apply to particular land. 

To find land use zones and property information:

  1. Click on the 'Community Compass map' button below. (It will open in a new window).
  2. Click on the magnifying glass and start typing your property's street address into the search bar at the top of the page until you see the full property address appear. Select the address. 
  3. Select 'planning zones and overlays' from the menu.   
  4. Click on each heading to see info on which zone you are in or which overlay applies. Make a note of this information. 
  5. Go to the Cardinia Planning Scheme web page on the DELWP website to view the planning scheme document to find info on what you can and can't do on a property according to its zone or overlay. It is a complex document, so contact us if you need help.  

Go to Community Compass tool

Type a property's street address into the tool below.

If strategic planning documents apply to the property's area

This will generate a web link. Copy and paste the web link into a new browser window to see which documents apply to that area. 

If strategic planning documents do not apply to the property's area

It will display this text: Unable to get information about this location.


If you need advice on what you can or can't do on your property because of zones or overlays, contact our Statutory Planning team on 1300 787 624