Apply for a hoarding permit for street occupation

  • You need to apply for a hoarding permit (street occupancy) when part of a public access way or Council property requires fencing off for proposed building works. 
  • Hoardings and barricades are used around building sites to keep members of the public safe and to secure buildings sites when they are unattended.
  • A hoarding permit may still be required even if a building permit is not required.
  • Closing part of a footpath for painting.
  • Putting up signage.
  • Machinery being used on the footpath or Council property.
  • Any building work or materials placed on Council land. 

The hoarding permit fee is calculated as a monthly rate based on the square metre area of the hoarding site. 

Area of the Hoarding 

Monthly rate 

Less that 100m2


101m2 - 500m2


Over 500m2


  • A full site plan
  • A copy of the contractor’s public liability insurance with a minumum $20 million cover
  • A copy of an approved traffic management plan (in accordance with AS1742.3 and VicRoads Worksite Code of Practice).

Download the hoarding permit application form then post, email or drop your form to us. 


Hoarding permit (street occupation) application
Cardinia Shire Council
PO Box 7 
Pakenham VIC 3810 


In person

Cardinia Shire Council
20 Siding Avenue, Officer
(View our location in Google Maps)


You can pay over the phone or in person.

Pay over the phone

Call us on 1300 787 624 to pay with your credit card.

Pay in person

Council’s Customer Service Centre
20 Siding Avenue, Officer

Contact our Engineering team
Ph: 1300 787 624

Was this page useful?