Apply for an Occupation of Street permit (hoarding)

If your building work requires any part of a public access way (such as a footpath) or area of Council property to be fenced off, you need a hoarding permit.

Hoardings and barricades usually need to be installed around building sites to keep members of the public safe and secure the site when unattended.

You may still need a hoarding permit, even if:

  • a building permit is not required, or
  • work is not 'building work' (for example, painting).

If you are erecting a building or temporary structure across a street alignment or Council land, you will also need to apply for a Protection of the Public (hoarding) permit.

2018-19 fee 

$217.50 per 15 metres, plus $90 inspection fee per month.

  • A full site plan
  • A copy of the contractor’s public liability insurance ($20 million minimum)
  • If required, a copy of an approved traffic management plan (in accordance with AS1742.3 and VicRoads Worksite Code of Practice). For more information go to our Traffic management plans web page