Fencing costs when your property borders a Council asset

We will pay half the cost of fencing for properties according to the list below. The new fence will need to be built according to our standard requirements.


  • Council buildings (including depots, maternal and child health centres and children’s centres)
  • Senior citizen clubs
  • Council reserves with playgrounds
  • Council car parks
  • Community centres
  • Farming land properties (leased out by Council)
  • Where Council reserves are proposed under a new plan of subdivision (Pakenham only) and where a development levy has been paid
  • Reserves or open spaces without playgrounds or Council building
  • Tree reserve next to a road
  • Roads
  • Laneways/walkways (including access between 2 streets)
  • Drainage reserves
  • Any fence damage due to neighbour neglect

We will only pay a contribution on a 1.65-metre-high timber paling fence.

A higher fence, hand gates (no wider than 1 metre, at the full height of the fence and with a lock) or larger access gates must be approved by Council and the extra cost covered by the private land owner.

Applications to use steel posts, Colorbond sheeting (green or brown only), chain wire mesh fencing or brick/block fences will be considered if the fence:

  • Marks the boundary between the reserve and private land
  • Provides privacy and security to both sides
  • Allows the private property owner and reserve users to use the land without interfering
  • Is safe, sound and durable
  • Provides a partial noise barrier
  • Looks consistent with its surroundings
  • Is cost effective
  • Not easy to climb over or scale

Contact us at mail@cardinia.vic.gov.au or call 1300  787 624