Apply for an event permit
You now need to apply for an events permit for most public events in Cardinia Shire. After you start an application, you will have one point of contact in Council to help you with all our requirements.
We encourage and support community groups and organisations to hold events within the shire, helping to grow the diverse range of events on offer to our community.
Find out more about our bookable spaces.
When you need an events permit
You need an events permit to run a public event on Council land (including at a parks, reserve, or on a road), or if your event:
- has a large number of attendees
- involves contractors
- needs temporary infrastructure like portable toilets, marquees or fences
- or has food vendors.
There is no cost for an events permit.
You may need other permits as well
When you apply for an event permit, we will help you work through other things you may need to do.
This could include:
- Apply to place real estate signage on public land
- Register a mobile or temporary food business
- Apply to run a “public entertainment event”
If you are still unsure about what permits you need after you apply for the events permit, call us on 1300 787 624 and ask to speak to the Festival and Events officer.
When to apply
Applications will need to be submitted 4-12 weeks prior to your event, depending on the size.
Event details you will need to include on your application
- event date
- expected number of people attending
- structures at the event
- types of activities (rides, food, liquor and fireworks)
- details of your Public Liability.
You need to include at least these 2 documents to start your event application:
- Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance cover) - minimum of $20 million for all events
- draft event site map – download an example site map. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want an aerial shot of your event location.
We will also need other documents before your event is approved, including:
- venue booking confirmation
- event management plan
- risk assessment
- traffic management plan (if applicable)
You can start your event application without those documents. Simply submit the event permit form with the documents you do have, and we will help guide you through the remaining documents.
If you are unable to apply online, you can download an Event Permit Application form to complete and send to email@example.com.
After you apply
Your event is not approved immediately after you submit your application form. We will need to look at your application to see what other permits and approvals you may need from Council or other agencies.
Our Festival and Events Officer will reach out to you to let you know the next steps.
Helpful resources for event organisers
We want to support community event organisers to lead well-organised, sustainable, safe, compliant and locally engaging community events in Cardinia.