Litter and illegally dumped rubbish
- Please report any incidences of rubbish dumping on Council land. By doing this, you play a very important role in helping us track down people who dump rubbish, and in helping make Cardinia Shire a cleaner and safer place.
- Litter can cause many issues to the environment, people’s health and safety, and financial costs.
- We support community members who safely pick up litter.
Report illegal dumped rubbish
In Victoria it is illegal to dispose or bury any kind of waste at a location that isn’t licensed to accept it, including private land. Dumped rubbish can include furniture, building rubble and garden waste, and has significant impacts on our environment, is a risk to our health and is expensive to manage.
We investigate and action all reports of illegal dumped rubbish. Offenders may be charged under the Environmental Protection Act 2017 and if found guilty, face a maximum penalty of $9616 or 40 points.
Tips to report dumped rubbish
- Do not touch or remove any ID as you may remove valuable evidences.
- Do not approach the person if you witness them dumping rubbish as you may put yourself in danger
Report by phone or email
During business hours: 1300 787 624 or firstname.lastname@example.org
After hours: Call the Environment Protection Authority Victoria 24-Hour hotline on 1300 372 842
Litter is anything that has been disposed of incorrectly and can end up in our streets, parks and waterways.
Litter can cause problems for:
- animals and the environment
- the health and safety of our community
- attracting more litter and other types of vandalism (such as graffiti, property damage).
Littering is a crime under the Environment Protection Act 2017 and the most visible sign of pollution.
Report litter or littering
We support community clean up events
Clean Up Australia Day is Australia's largest community-based event for collecting litter.
- Clean Up Australia Day is held on the first Sunday of March each year, however you can organise an event for any day of the year.
- Local businesses and schools can also register events.
- Clean Up Australia Day provides a clean-up kit including bags, gloves and information.