How we enforce tobacco laws
We conduct routine visits
To ensure tobacco laws are upheld in Cardinia Shire we conduct routine visits to all tobacco retailers across the municipality as well as licensed premises or places where food is consumed.
Our visits could include test purchasing using minors.
State penalties and restrictions
Victorian State law requires:
- smoke-free dining and drinking areas in restaurants, cafes, clubs and hotels
- external smoking areas for restaurants, cafes, clubs and hotels
- display of signage at retailers and places where smoking is prohibited
- increased penalties for all Tobacco Act offences with new substantial penalties for companies
- restriction to advertising and display of tobacco products in shops.
Visit the VicHealth website for more information about the Tobacco Act 1987 and regulations.