COVID-19 information

The COVID-19 Online Help Hub has information on restrictions in Victoria, changes to Council services and facilities, government assistance available, COVID-19 health information and more. Visit the hub >

Report a noise problem

  • Under Local Law 17 no one can cause or knowingly allow or suffer noise on a property they own, occupy or of which they are in charge. The only exception to this rule is if the noise is related to an emergency. 
  • Whether a noise is deemed excessive is up to the discretion of our attending staff.
  • Prohibited times for different types of noise is listed on the EPA website
  • Often talking to your neighbours and working together on a solution can resolve noise issues quickly and easily.
  • You can report excessive noise to us during our business hours (8.30am to 5pm), or to Victoria Police outside these hours. 

For noise to be unreasonable it must be able to be heard from inside another residential property during prohibited times.

The EPA website lists types of residential noise and their prohibited times including: 

  • motor vehicles
  • lawn mowers
  • power tools
  • chainsaws
  • circular saws
  • domestic air conditioners 
  • evaporative coolers
  • heat pumps
  • musical instruments 
  • stereos
  • TVs

You can report excessive noise (as described in the EPA Noise Guidelines) to us during our business hours (8.30am to 5pm), or to Victoria Police if you wish to report outside these hours.