Register a mobile or temporary food business

You need to register any temporary food business or event, such as a market stall, food van or sausage sizzle.                  

Register your temporary food business

Your business may be a market stall, tent, food van, vending machine, or you may be a private water carter who transports and sells water intended for human consumption.

Use the FoodTrader website to:

  • apply for Food Act registration/notification
  • manage updates to a registration or notification
  • renew registrations annually
  • access and pay fees and invoices
  • apply for Statements of Trade when intending to trade at Victorian events

You only need register in one Council. Nominate your principal council through FoodTrader, that is the location where:

  • you prepare food before trading, or
  • store food before trading.

If you do not store or prepare food, it is the location where:

  • you store equipment for your stall or tent, or
  • you store your vehicle.

The Department of Health and Human Services provides details on food safety obligations for community groups

Note: a Food Safety Supervisor will not be required for a community group if:

  • the majority of people involved in the handling of the food are volunteers
  • the activity takes place at the premise for a maximum of 2 consecutive days at any time.

Complete your statement of trade on the FoodTrader website. 

A SOT is not a registration. A SOT lets all relevant councils know when you will be operating your temporary or mobile food premises and food vending machines or water transport vehicle in their district, and where.

You should allow 21 days for the notification to be processed. You cannot trade until your premises has been registered/notified.

When is a SOT not required?

You do not need to lodge a SOT if you are operating:

  • a temporary or mobile premises and are catering at a function or location that is not open to members of the public (such as catering for a wedding reception, work function or members dinner)
  • Class 4 food vending machines.

Lodging a SOT ensures that you have complied with the Food Act. Make sure you are aware of other laws that may apply to your trading.

For example, you may need:

  • permission from a council to operate on public land. Please note: Cardinia Shire Council are not currently accepting applications or issuing permits for roadside trading on public land, Council reserves or roads. Should you wish to operate on a main arterial road please make enquiries with VicRoads on 13 11 71. Check back with the Compliance team at a later stage as we may begin issuing permits in the future. 
  • planning approval from council if you will be trading in a street
  • permission from the land owner if you intend to operate on private land
  • other required licences – such as a liquor licence.

Most temporary events require a record of the event being held.

Read more about keeping food safety records.