Major equipment grants (Category 3) – 2021–22
Application opening and closing dates
Opens: Monday 25 January 2021, 9am
Closes: Sunday 7 March 2021, 4pm
- The Community Capital Works Grants Program assists community groups to upgrade community and recreational facilities that are used to strengthen local community networks and support community wellbeing.
- Improvements to facilities funded through this program should complement the Council Plan and seek to boost people’s participation and involvement in their local communities.
- To progressively upgrade the facilities from which community organisations provide services to the community
- To progressively improve facilities that are the primary focus for services or programs that promote local community networks
- To progressively improve facilities that positively contribute to community safety and the wellbeing of residents
- To foster community ownership and management of local facilities.
About this grants category
- Grants of up to $20,000 are available to go towards major equipment purchases that fall into one of 3 priority areas.
- Equipment purchases are used to help maintain sporting grounds, outer grounds or large internal areas.
- Community groups must provide dollar-for-dollar matched funding.
Grants will only be awarded to groups or organisations managing public facilities on behalf of Council, on Council-owned land or Crown land.
Groups and organisations eligible for community capital works grants must:
- be not-for-profit and managed by a volunteer board or committee of management
- be a committee established by the Council to manage a Community Asset
- be incorporated
- have adequate public liability insurance
- have no outstanding grant acquittals or outstanding debts owing to Council
- propose an initiative which will benefit the Cardinia community and be located in Cardinia
- be able to supply financial statements and information as requested
- be able to meet conditions associated with receiving the grant
- demonstrate the proposed activity is consistent with Local, State and Federal regulations
- be able to provide supporting data, when requested, proving that the project is adequately costed.
Organisations that use facilities managed by a committee of management: You must get approval from the committee of management before you apply for the grant.
Organisations that use facilities on Crown Land: You must get approval from the relevant state government agency before you apply for the grant.
Funding information for major equipment grants (category 3)
Maximum: $20,000 per project.
- Grants will be funded on a dollar-for-dollar matched funding basis: $1 from Council and $1 from the applicant to a maximum of $20,000.
- The applicant’s contribution may include funds sourced from other organisations or non-Cardinia Shire Council grant programs.
Priority areas – major equipment grants (category 3)
All applications will be assessed against the following principles:
Priority area 1: Demonstrated need for major equipment
Priority area 2: Demonstrated need for funding assistance
Priority area 3: Ability to maintain and store the equipment
For all categories, preference will be given to projects not eligible for state, federal or other funding assistance. However, if funding will assist in securing state or federal funding then the application will be considered on merit.
What won't be funded
- Works proposed in facilities not owned by Council, or not managed on behalf of Council.
- Requests for retrospective funding, where projects have started before funding approval was received.
- Consultancy fees
- Funding for groups and organisations with an outstanding debt to Council.
Documents you'll need
Before your community group expresses interest in this grant, please read all documents in the information pack (which contains Word and PDF versions of all documents).
- Community Capital Works Grants Program – program guide (which includes essential information you will need for your application including the terms and conditions)
- Community Capital Works Grants Program policy
Supporting documents pack
Information and tools to support applications.
- Community Capital Works Grants Program - volunteer labour kit
- Community Capital Works Grants Program – risk assessment template
- Community Capital Works Grants Program – request for quote for proposed works form
- Community Capital Works Grants Program – project planning template
- Community Capital Works Grants Program – request for building permit advice form
What you need to include in the application
- Outline a demonstrated need and benefits for the major equipment
- Outline a demonstrated need for funding assistance
- Outline the ability to maintain and house the equipment
- Annual financial statement for the previous 2 financial years, and a bank statement for the past 3 months to show a consistent bank balance in line with the Council prescribed rating scale threshold
- Detailed quote/s including make, model and brand
How your application is assessed
All grant applications are reviewed against the priority areas by:
- Council’s Internal Council Cross Divisional Group (ICCDG), comprised of Council staff from different areas of the organisation
- senior managers at Council
- An applicant may lodge a written request to query a grants assessment and request clarification.
- Requests must be made within 4 weeks of receiving the grant outcome notification.
- Requests will receive due consideration and a formal, written response will be provided.