Becoming a citizen
All applications for Australian citizenship must be made through the Department of Homeland. Residents who have had their applications approved will be invited to attend a citizenship ceremony.
Dates for citizenship ceremonies
- No further citizenship ceremonies are scheduled for 2019.
- 2020 dates will be listed on this page once confirmed.
- All ceremonies are held at Cardinia Cultural Centre in Pakenham.
Applying for Australian citizenship
All questions about costs, how to apply and the progress of applications for Australian citizenship should be directed to the Department of Homeland.
Citizenship ceremony invitations
Once your application has been approved you will be invited to attend a citizenship ceremony.
Invitations are generally sent three weeks prior to the ceremony by the Department of Homeland. Ceremonies are held at the Cardinia Cultural Centre, Lakeside Boulevard, Pakenham, starting at 7pm. Please arrive 30 minutes earlier for registration.
If you are unable to attend, an invitation will be sent for the following ceremony. Families and friends are encouraged to come along.
What to bring to your ceremony
- Photo ID (like driver's licence, learner's permit or passport). If you do not have photo ID, you can not take part in the ceremony.
- Your invitation letter from the Department of Homeland
If you wish to make your oath on a book that relates to your religious beliefs, please bring that book to the ceremony.