Looking for a way to give back and connect with the community? One of the many volunteering groups in Cardinia Shire may be for you!
Whether you’re interested in gardening and the environment, sports and recreation, or just want to give back to the community, there is a volunteering opportunity for everyone.
If you are looking to volunteer for a local not-for-profit or community group, you can search our volunteers directory.
Council supports its many volunteers in many ways including:
- workshops and information sessions
- subsidised training
- volunteering job opportunities.
Recruit volunteers for your organisation
- If your not-for-profit organisation is looking for support from volunteers, please submit the role and we will post it in our volunteering opportunities directory.
- The directory is a free service to not-for-profit organisations based in Cardinia Shire, or that service Cardinia Shire residents.
Training calendar for volunteers and community organisations
Council offers a range of free or subsidised training for volunteers to support our volunteer community organisations such as sporting clubs, neighbourhood houses, community asset committees and many more.
Volunteer training calendar February - June 2023
Marketing for Community Groups
This session will support community groups' marketing efforts. Tips and hints for effective ways to develop a marketing strategy will be provided.
Date: 23 May, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
To book: Register here.
Everyday Money Management Training
Learn how to support your clients or community with financial conversations.
This training offers insights into financial disadvantage in Australia & the tools to engage and enable clients to build financial resilience.
This training is for any worker in a client facing role including volunteers, case workers, support workers, material aid and food relief workers.
Understanding financial hardship in Australia (1 hour)
Financial health check-ups (1.5-2 hours)
Map it out, control & rebuild (1.5-2 hours)
Credit & Debt - Good versus evil (1 hour)
Date: 25 May, 10am - 4pm
Location: Chambers, Council Civic Centre, 20 Siding Ave, Officer
To book: https://forms.office.com/r/70xx0QCdBj
Lunch and refreshments provided.
Securing Your Future with a Funding Plan:
This session will help groups review their current fundraising practices and look at alternative solutions. At the end of the session, you will have constructed a 3-year funding plan.
Date: 6 June, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Location: Option upon registration to attend online or face to face at the Gallery Room, Cardinia Civic Centre, 20 Siding Ave, Officer.
To book: Register here.
Subsidised training for volunteers
We offer a volunteer training program each term, which is offered by local neighbourhood houses, community centres and Universities of the Third Age (U3A) at a subsidised rate (conditions apply).
The following courses will be available throughout the year:
- food handling
- basic bookkeeping
- first aid and CPR
- various computer courses.
For details of available programs and fees and to apply for a subsidised place, please contact the relevant training provider directly.
- Beaconsfield Neighbourhood Centre
- Moy-Yan Neighbourhood House (formally Bunyip & Ditsrict Community House)
- Cardinia U3A (Pakenham)
- Cockatoo Neighbourhood House
- Emerald Community House
- Lang Lang Community Centre
- Living and Learning Pakenham
- Outlook Community Centre
- Upper Beaconsfield Community Centre
Annual event for volunteer organisations
- More than 500 volunteer organisations work to make Cardinia Shire a great place to live, so in May every year we celebrate our volunteers through a volunteer reception at Cardinia Cultural Centre.
- Each year, invitations to attend the volunteer reception are sent to 2 representatives from not-for-profit groups. To ensure representatives from your organisation are invited, please confirm your organisation's contact details are correct in our community directory.
- We hold the volunteer reception in May, to coincide with National Volunteer Week