Cardinia Community Leadership Program
About the program
The Cardinia Community Leadership Program is a free program for emerging leaders in the Cardinia Shire community. We deliver the program in partnership with Leadership Victoria.
Participants will build and strengthen their capacity in community leadership and participation so they can become even stronger and more effective leaders in local, groups, schools, organisations or neighbourhoods.
Participants act as a community mentors to build leadership skills in themselves and others while promoting health, wellbeing, connection and high participation in local and municipal community life. The program develops a sustainable leadership framework that is inclusive, accessible and meets the needs of our diverse community.
The program is designed to:
- build capacity to address community challenges and generate local solutions.
- get you ready for community leadership roles and to be part of decision-making processes.
- strengthen relationships and networks between participants, Council, and community groups and organisations, based on valuing and respecting diversity and inclusion.
Participants will work with Council and Leadership Victoria to develop skills and build capacity and knowledge in:
- strategic planning and project management
- strategic thinking and project planning
- goal setting
- what makes a good leader and good leadership qualities
- leadership without authority
- leading through change and adversity
- leading and working collaboratively to achieve important outcomes
- effective interpersonal skills
- identifying local community challenges and issues and solutions
- collaborative group work.
As part of the program, participants can take advantage of Leadership Victoria’s Alumni Program and vast networks in the community leadership space.
To be eligible for the program you must be:
- a Cardinia Shire Council resident
- 18 years or over
- already involved in the local community in some way
- able to attend all program sessions.
2018 program information
Applications have now closed for the 2018 program.
Please stay tuned for information on the 2019 program.
Feedback from 2017 program graduates
"I can't thank Cardinia Shire Council and Leadership Victoria enough for this program. I feel I am not just a better leader, but a better stronger person for having completed this course."
"Thank you so much to Cardinia Shire Council and Leadership Victoria for the wonderful opportunity to be a part of this program. Thank you for the content and delivery of the program and for pushing us out of our comfort zone and into greater things."
"Thank you so much for my new friends. It is wonderful to be able to support one another in our projects for a stronger community."