Report a noise problem

  • Prohibited times for different types of noise are listed on the EPA website
  • Under Local Law 17 no one can cause or knowingly allow or suffer noise on a property they own, occupy or of which they are in charge. The only exception to this rule is if the noise is related to an emergency. 
  • Whether a noise is deemed excessive is up to the discretion of our attending staff.
  • Often talking to your neighbours and working together on a solution can resolve noise issues quickly and easily.
  • You can report excessive noise to us during our business hours (8.30am to 5pm), or to Victoria Police outside these hours. 

Noise can be unreasonable if a neighbour can hear it in a habitable room of their home. A habitable room is any room in the house except:

  • kitchens
  • pantries
  • bathrooms
  • toilets
  • laundry rooms
  • storage areas.

The EPA website lists types of residential noise and their prohibited times including: 

  • motor vehicles
  • lawn mowers
  • power tools
  • chainsaws
  • circular saws
  • domestic air conditioners 
  • evaporative coolers
  • heat pumps
  • musical instruments 
  • stereos
  • TVs. 

You can report excessive noise (as outlined on this page of the EPA website) to us during our business hours (8.30am to 5pm), or to Victoria Police if you wish to report outside these hours.