Access and inclusion
We are committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive and accessible community, as outlined in our Disability, Access and Inclusion Policy and Action Plan.
- Apply for a disability parking permit
- Get Council info if you are hearing or vision impaired
- Migrants, refugees and our multicultural community
- Our Aboriginal community
- Report racism
- We are a Refugee Welcome Zone
- Download our access maps
- Register guide and assistance dogs
- Citizenship ceremonies
- For new residents
Cardinia Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee
Cardinia Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee (CAIAC) is committed to making Cardinia Shire welcoming, accessible and inclusive to all.
The Access and Inclusion Committee are representatives of the disability community, disability sector and Cardinia Shire Councillors.
- We monitor and review access and inclusion policy and Council's disability action plan
- We provide information to Council on issues impacting upon people with disability that prevent inclusion in the community
- We have input and participation in strategic planning
- We are represented on Council Community Advisory Committee’s for local projects
- We liaise with Cardinia Shire Council on Council related matters
The meetings are open to the public.
We support inclusion in Cardinia Shire
Local government has a critical role in encouraging and supporting active participation in community life, and ensuring that its services are accessible, equitable and inclusive to all residents, including:
- people from diverse cultural backgrounds, including and not limited to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- people from cultural and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- those identifying as LGBTIQ+
- people of faith
- people of all ages, genders and abilities.
Our inclusive statement
Cardinia Shire Council encourages a sense of belonging within our shire. We support an inclusive community comprised of people from diverse backgrounds, including and not limited to, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from cultural and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, those identifying as LGBTIQ+, people of faith, and people of all ages, genders and abilities.
Accessible buildings and facilities
We follow our Access Design Guidelines to ensure new buildings and facilities are accessible for everyone in our community.
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in Cardinia Shire
What is the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of delivering services and providing support for Australians with a disability, and their families and carers. Under the NDIS, people with a disability, their families and carers will have control over how, when and where their funding is spent. The NDIA will work with participants to make sure they have supports in place to meet their goals.
The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is the independent agency responsible for implementing the NDIS. The NDIS has been rolled out progressively in Victoria over a 3-year period.
When did the NDIS roll out in Cardinia Shire?
From 1 September 2018.
Am I eligible to access the NDIS?
To check if you are eligible go to the NDIS access checklist on the Australian Department of Human Services website.