Community Asset Committees
- Council is responsible for a large number of community facilities across Cardinia Shire, including recreation reserves, sports stadiums, public halls, open spaces and nature reserves.
- To help us operate these facilities, we partner with community asset committees (previously known as Section 86 committees).
- Community asset committees directly manage community property and facilities on behalf of Council.
- Community asset committee members are unpaid volunteers. They are often local residents and/or belong to the facility’s user group (such as a sporting club).
- To support community asset committees to do their work, Council provides maintenance grants, workshops to upskill volunteers and access to leadership courses.
- Being part of a community asset committee allows community members to play a key role in managing and maintaining the facilities they use, giving a sense of community ownership. We are very grateful to community asset committee members for the time and energy they dedicate to their important roles.
How community asset committees are appointed
- Community asset committees are appointed by Cardinia Shire Council. They have delegated responsibilities from Council's Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in accordance with the Local Government Act 2020 (Act 2020).
- These committee members are elected at each facility’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) and appointed by Council. AGM dates are posted in the public notices section of the local newspaper.
Contact details for facilities managed by community asset committees
For contact details for community asset committees, please refer to our booking a sports ground page.
Community asset committee project – recreation reserves
During 2020-22, Council is working with 16 of the shire’s community asset committees for recreation reserves to:
- review, document and analyse key areas of risk
- improve the way we support these committees in the future.
The reserve committees taking part in the project are:
- Cardinia Recreation Reserve
- Chandler Recreation Reserve
- Garfield Recreation Reserve
- Gembrook Recreation Reserve
- Huxtable Road Reserve
- Josie Bysouth Reserve
- Lang Lang Community Recreation Precinct
- Maryknoll Recreation Reserve
- Officer Recreation Reserve
- Pound Road Reserve
- Rythdale Recreation Reserve
- Sutherland Park Recreation Reserve
- Worrell Reserve
- Yannathan Recreation Reserve
- Yarrabubba Reserve