Community Asset Committees
- Council is responsible for a large number of community facilities across Cardinia Shire, including recreation reserves, sports stadiums, public halls, open spaces and nature reserves.
- To help us operate these facilities, we partner with community asset committees (previously known as Section 86 committees).
- Community asset committees directly manage community property and facilities on behalf of Council.
- Community asset committee members are unpaid volunteers. They are often local residents and/or belong to the facility’s user group (such as a sporting club).
- To support community asset committees to do their work, Council provides maintenance grants, workshops to upskill volunteers and access to leadership courses.
- We are very grateful to community asset committee members for the time and energy they dedicate to their important roles.
Contact details for facilities managed by Community Asset committees
Refer to our online directories
How Community Asset Committees are appointed
Community Asset Committees are appointed by Cardinia Shire Council. They have delegated responsibilities from the Chief Executive Officer of Cardinia Shire Council in accordance with the Local Government Act 2020 (Act 2020).
Community Asset Committee members are elected at the facility’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) and appointed by Council. AGM dates are posted on our public notices page and in local newspapers.
Benefits of Community Asset Committees
Being part of a Community Asset Committee enables community members to play a key role in managing and maintaining the facilities they use, giving a sense of community ownership.
Community Asset Project – recreation reserves
During 2020-21, we are working with 16 of the shire’s Community Asset Committees for recreation reserves to:
- review, document and analyse key areas of risk
- improve the way we support these committees in the future.
The reserve committees taking part in the project are:
- Cardinia Recreation Reserve
- Chandler Recreation Reserve
- Garfield Recreation Reserve
- Gembrook Recreation Reserve
- Huxtable Road Reserve
- Josie Bysouth Reserve
- Lang Lang Community Recreation Precinct
- Maryknoll Recreation Reserve
- Mountain Road Recreation Reserve
- Officer Recreation Reserve
- Pound Road Reserve
- Rythdale Recreation Reserve
- Sutherland Park Recreation Reserve
- Worrell Reserve
- Yannathan Recreation Reserve
- Yarrabubba Reserve