Apply for a Cardinia Arts Grant
About the grant
- Cardinia Arts Grants provide financial assistance to local artists for initiatives that utilise, expand, and promote the arts within Cardinia Shire.
- Council offers this grant opportunity to encourage creatives to connect their artistic practice with local communities in new ways.
- Grant applications for 2023 are now closed.
The Cardinia Arts Grants aim to:
- support new ideas and high quality initiatives that contribute to the development and promotion of the local arts sector,
- support the growth of creative enterprises and individual arts practices,
- provide opportunities for the community to experience and participate in the arts, and
- foster partnerships and collaborations between local artists, residents, and local community groups.
Artists and arts groups can apply for a grant of up to $5,000 from a pool of $25,000 for initiatives that utilise, expand, and promote the arts in Cardinia Shire. Applicants are required to contact one of our arts project officers to discuss their project idea prior to submitting.
- Artistic merit (innovation, individuality, track record and/or proven ability);
- Proposed project (outcome, approach, plan);
- Relevance to community (ability to connect with locals and/or promote interest in the arts); and
- Feasibility (budget, timeline, risk, scale).
- have a demonstrated connection to Cardinia Shire (such as resident, work, study, family, community group, creative organisation, etc.);
- be aged 18 years or above;
- be focused on growing arts engagement in Cardinia Shire;
- have the time and ability to deliver the project successfully within the calendar year;
- have demonstrated experience, or proven ability, in a specific artform or artforms;
- have a current Working with Children Check (if applicable to the project); and
- provide public liability insurance to the value of $20 million.
- show innovation in form and/or content;
- demonstrate a need at this particular time for the proposed project;
- have a connection with local communities either during the project development or as part of the project outcome;
- be a feasible proposal that is financially viable;
- have adequate project planning and risk management;
- be well documented (e.g., an actual work or photos/videos) with the content available at the completion of the project for Council to promote; and
- align with Council’s arts and cultural policy objectives.
We will not fund:
- projects which require recurrent funding;
- projects which receive funding from other Council grants/funding programs;
- professional development for individual artists;
- projects that require retrospective funding;
- general administration costs, routine or cyclical maintenance;
- cash prizes or commercial gifts; and
- any proposals deemed not to comply with the overall intent of the program.
Grants of up to $5,000 (GST inclusive as applicable) will be provided on a one-off basis to each artist whose application is successful. Council may choose to give more than five grants depending on the funding amount requested by the selected applicants.
- Please note that Council generally receives more applications for financial assistance than funds available, and therefore not all applications can be supported. Priority will be given to new projects, and applications from diverse communities are encouraged. Artists from all career stages are welcome to apply. At least one emerging artist will be selected to receive a grant* (pending eligible applicants meet the criteria).
- Applicants are also welcome to demonstrate partnership with other artists e.g. local, interstate and/or international. Applicants are encouraged to utilise one of Cardinia Shire’s creative venues for all or part of their project (such as Cardinia Cultural Centre or Hills Hub).
- Funding decisions are at the discretion of Cardinia Shire Council. Fulfilling the assessment criteria does not guarantee funding.