Taking a stand against racism
The devastating effects of racism
- Racism and racial profiling (the targeting of specific groups because of their ethnic background), can have serious consequences.
- It can shatter people's confidence and their sense of worth, and affect their work and studies.
- It works against our goal of building a fair, inclusive community.
- Racism hurts us all. Let's all be aware of racial behaviour and its impact. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
POSTPONED: Walk against racism – March 2020
This event has been postponed in response to the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Walk to show your support for the national ‘Racism. It Stops With Me’ campaign.
- Registration is required. You can register using the online form below – it’s very quick and easy to do.
- Council, with the support of its Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Advisory Committee, is hosting 3 community walks in the lead up to Harmony Day (Saturday 21 March 2020), which celebrates Australian multiculturalism.
- Each walk will follow a different route, and end with educational talks from community members. The walks are wheelchair accessible, but please know that a reasonable level of fitness is required.
- To register for one of the walks call our Safe and Inclusive Communities team on 1300 787 624
Walk 1: Thursday 19 March 2020
Start point: Beaconsfield Park, corner of Princess Highway and Beaconsfield Emerald Road, Beaconsfield
Finish point: Cardinia Civic Centre, 20 Siding Avenue, Officer
Start time: 1pm
Finish time: 3.30pm
Walk length: 6km
Walk 2: Friday 20 March 2020
Start point: Cardinia Civic Centre, 20 Siding Avenue, Officer
Finish point: Cardinia Cultural Centre, 40 Lakeside Boulevard, Pakenham
Start time: 1pm
Finish time: 4pm
Walk length: 6.6km
Please join us at the end of the walk to listen to an engaging series of guest speakers at approximately 4pm at Cardinia Cultural Centre, 40 Lakeside Blvd Pakenham.
Walk 3: Saturday 21 March 2020 (Pakenham Show)
Start point: Cardinia Life – 4/6 Olympic Way Pakenham (outside the front foyer)
Finish point: Living Learning Pakenham (outdoor stage), 6B Henry Street, Pakenham
Start time: 1pm
Finish time: 2pm
Walk length: 3.1km
Saturday's walk will head down Princess Hwy, Main Street Pakenham and onto PB Ronald Reserve, where we will celebrate Harmony Day during the Pakenham Show, with special guest speakers at the stage alongside Pakenham Living Learning
To help spread the message, marchers are encouraged to share photos on social media of the walks with the hashtag #InCardiniaRacismStopsWithMe.
It will only take a few minutes and it will be sent as a confidential report directly to the Victorian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission.
For more information project, visit the Human Rights Commission of Victoria website.
Racism. It Stops With Me
We have signed up to the 'Racism. It Stops With Me' campaign to raise awareness of the terrible impact of racist behaviour on those who experience it.
Tips and advice if you experience racial discrimination
For tips on what to do if you experience racial discrimination or you see it happening, go to the Racism. It Stops With Me website
Watch the video on how you can take action against racism