Australia Day - events and awards
Key points about this page
- Nominations for Cardinia Shire's Australia Day awards for 2024 are now open.
- The Cardinia Shire 2024 Australia Day Award winners will be announced on Thursday 25 January.
Awards are presented in the following categories:
- Citizen of the Year
- Senior Citizen of the Year
- Young Citizen of the Year
- Community Event of the Year
The awards recognise those who have shown a willingness to lend a helping hand, concern for the environment or participated in sport, arts or cultural endeavours.
They share the aspirations of all Australians in respect of tolerance, democracy, equity and equality of opportunity.
Awards eligibility criteria
Please read the 2024 Australia Day Award nomination guidelines before making a nomination.
Individuals must be:
- an Australian citizen (when nominations close)
- a resident of Cardinia Shire
- willing to accept the award.
A nominee for an award should demonstrate that they:
- take the lead and show leadership
- are a positive role model or mentor
- promote the overall welfare and wellbeing of the community
- participate in and have achievements in community activities, academic, sporting, personal, cultural, environment and/or civic responsibility
- have not received the same award in the past 5 years
- are not a current serving councillor
- Young Citizen of the Year nominees must be under 25 years on 26 January of the year the award is given
- Senior Citizen of the Year nominees must be at least 70 years on 26 January of the year the award is given
- Nominations will not be accepted for individuals for service in a position of paid employment and awards will not be granted posthumously
- Winners over 18 years of age must be willing to undergo a Victoria Police criminal records check (at Council’s expense)
- Winners (over 18 years) must undergo a Volunteer Working with Children Check
Community event award
The nominated event must have:
- been hosted onsite or virtually within Cardinia Shire between 1 November 2022 and 1 November 2023.
- been open and accessible to all Cardinia Shire residents
- showcased aspects of the local community
- been managed appropriately
- not received the award in the past 5 years
The organising group of the event must be:
- not-for-profit and community-focused
- based in Cardinia Shire and service people in Cardinia Shire
- an incorporated body with a public liability insurance policy to adequately cover their event or a Community Asset Committee.
The nomination must address the:
- purpose of the event and the outcomes
- impact of the event on the community
- level of community participation, and ongoing sustainability
- success of staying within budget.
Make a nomination
Nominations for the 2024 awards are now open.
To nominate an outstanding community member or organisation please:
- read the nomination guidelines and eligibility criteria
- make your nomination online via Smartygrants
How we assess the nominations
- A selection panel made up of community representatives, Council officers and councillors will assess the nominations.
- The decision of the Cardinia Shire Council Australia Day Awards Panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.