Apply for or renew an accessible parking permit (disability parking permit)

  • Council issues disability parking permits (now called accessible parking permits) for people with physical and intellectual disabilities. This page has information and resources to help you apply for these permits. 
  • If you need to apply for a new disabled parking permit or replace an existing one, you now do this online on the Victorian Government’s Accessible Parking Permits website. 

Click here to visit the Accessible Parking permits website to renew or apply for a permit

  • The new online application process replaces the way you used to apply for a disability parking permit. The new scheme and online application process have many benefits
  • The changes are due to the Victorian Government’s new Accessible Parking Permit (APP) Scheme. The new scheme applies right across Victoria, so there’s consistency across the state.  Victorian permits will now also be recognised across Australia.
  • All existing permits are valid until their expiry date. If you have a current permit, you don’t need to do anything until it’s time to renew it.
  • Australian Disability Parking (ADP) Permit (for individuals)
  • Victorian Double Time Permit (for individuals)
  • Australian Disability Parking (ADP) Permit (for organisations)

If you’re not sure which permit you’re eligible for, don’t worry – this will be worked out when you apply online.

For more information on the permits and what each one allows you to do, visit the VicRoads website.

Info about permits on the VicRoads website

  1. Visit the Victorian Government’s Accessible Parking Permits website and complete your section of the application.
  2. An application reference number will then be sent to your mobile phone via SMS.   
  3. Take this reference number to your GP or occupational therapist. They will do an assessment and submit your application online.  
  4. If you live in Cardinia Shire, we’ll then review the application.  
  5. If your application is successful, you’ll receive your permit in the mail.

Visit the Accessible Parking Permits website to start your application

If you don’t have internet access or need help with your online application, VicRoads suggest asking a friend or family member to assist you.

VicRoads also has these ‘help’ resources:

If you’re still stuck, you can ask our customer support team for help – contact us on 1300 787 624 or visit Council’s customer support centre at 20 Siding Avenue, Officer.

  • An accessible parking permit can only be issued to one person, and can only be displayed when the vehicle is transporting the person the permit was issued to. To prove you’re the permit holder, you need to provide your name, address and driver’s licence if asked by a Victoria Police member or another authorised officer, such as a Council local laws officer.  
  • The permit must be clearly displayed so that the permit number and expiry date are visible from outside the vehicle.

Even if you have an accessible parking permit, you cannot park in:   

  • clearways
  • no stopping or no parking areas
  • taxi only areas
  • bus zones
  • authorised resident areas

You still need to pay for parking

An accessible parking permit also doesn’t allow you to park for free in areas where parking fees apply – you’ll still need to pay.

  • Call us on 1300 787 624 to cancel your permit.
  • Permits are cancelled automatically on their expiry date.
  • It’s quicker to apply for and renew your permit online, and your application will be processed more quickly.
  • Permit holders assessed as having a permanent condition or disability affecting their mobility will no longer have to visit a medical practitioner to renew their permit.
  • Some permits will be valid for longer, meaning you may not need to reapply as often. (There’s now an increased permit length from 3 years to 5 years for individuals).
  • Occupational therapists are now assessors, in addition to GPs.
  • Temporary permits for 6, 12 or 24 months are now available.
  • The system is more secure and will reduce the misuse of permits.