- Council has adopted a Gender Equality Leadership Commitment Statement
- It outlines Council’s vision that everyone who lives, works and spends time in Cardinia Shire – regardless of their gender identity – be treated with respect and fairness, feel and be safe, and have equal access to opportunities to reach their potential and pursue their dreams.
- It helps Council lead by example on gender equality.
Cardinia Shire Council also supports the Gender Equality Action Plan.
Gender Equality Leadership Commitment Statement
You can download the statement here
We want everyone who lives, works and spends time in Cardinia Shire – regardless of their gender identity – to be treated with respect and fairness, to feel and be safe, and to have equal access to opportunities to reach their potential and pursue their dreams.
Barriers to achieving this vision
- In our homes, workplaces and across the wider community, stereotypical and outdated views of gender roles, responsibilities and capabilities can lead to inequalities. For example, what is expected of women and girls is often different to what is expected of men and boys. This can result in imbalances in areas including domestic duties, parenting responsibilities and access to resources and opportunities.
- In addition, gender diverse people are often subject to similar expectations and discrimination based on their gender identity and may feel forced to hide their gender identity as a result. They are at greater risk of mental illness, physical and verbal abuse, and exclusion.
- In our community, outdated views and stereotypes that reinforce gender inequality are often due to a lack of education and awareness. This causes gender bias, both conscious and unconscious, which perpetuates inequality in our policies, practices, systems and structures.
Solutions and call to action
- Council will continuously strive to put policies and practices in place that help to deliver gender-equitable programs and services for everyone in Cardinia Shire.
- We will actively listen to women, girls and gender diverse people in our community, and learn from their lived experiences to help make Cardinia Shire a safer, healthier, fairer and more equitable place for all.
- We will create opportunities for women, girls and gender diverse people in our community to have a voice and inform our decision making.
- We will lead by example on gender equality.