Apply for a festivals and events grant
Opening and closing dates
- Applications are now closed.
- Applications for 2021–2022 projects will open in early 2021.
About this grants program
The Festivals and Events Grants Program supports a comprehensive and diverse mix of festivals and events so that all members of the community have access to, and may participate in activities that reflect and celebrate local identity, interests and diversity.
Festivals and events typically aim to:
- increase the vibrancy and cohesiveness of a community
- meet the diverse and changing interests of a community
- positively promote the host community
- provide an opportunity for fun and enjoyment
- recognise and profile local artists and/or community members who make a substantial contribution to their community
- provide opportunities for skill development through organisation and/or participation
- lead to economic benefits for local businesses and increased employment
- lead to the development of partnerships between community groups, local businesses, government and other agencies.
Is my group eligible?
To be eligible for this grants program, groups and organisations must be:
- locally based and/or servicing Cardinia Shire residents; and
- a section 86 committee of Council; or
- incorporated (or be auspiced by an incorporated organisation – please note, Section 86 committees cannot take on the function of an auspice).
If a licence, lease or funding agreement exists between Council and the community organisation, then the agreements need to be signed and current in order for applications to be considered.
Community groups with incomplete or outstanding projects are not eligible to apply for further projects and applications will not be considered.
What will not be funded
- Costs related to ongoing operations and core business including staff salaries
- Requests for retrospective funding, where an event has already been held, or is scheduled to be held before, or after, the annual (based on financial year) funding period
- Festivals and events that seek to promote, launch or expo an organisation or service
- Fundraising activities
- Prize money or competitions
- School events
- Capital works or facility maintenance costs
- Festivals and events that benefit a specific audience to the exclusion of the broader community.
What you need to read before you apply
To apply for this grant go to the Smarty Grants website.
How applications are assessed
All grant applications are reviewed by:
- a panel of Councillors
- an assessment panel comprising a multidisciplinary team of relevant Council staff
- senior managers within Council
Once agreement is reached in these forums, grants are referred to Council for endorsement and formal approval.
All applicants will be advised of the decision in early-July 2020.
Disputing a grants decision
If you wish to query a grants assessment please send a written request for clarification by post or email:
Community Strengthening Unit
Cardinia Shire Council
PO Box 7
Pakenham VIC 3810
All requests will receive due consideration and a written response will be sent.