Cardinia Community Leadership Program
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update - Community Leadership Program suspended
Sessions are postponed until further notice.
- Applications for the 2019 program have closed.
- The Cardinia Community Leadership Program is a free program for emerging community leaders aged 18 and over who live in Cardinia Shire. We deliver the program in partnership with Leadership Victoria
- Participants will build and strengthen their capacity in community leadership and participation so they can become even stronger and more effective leaders in local, groups, schools, organisations or neighbourhoods.
- The program runs for 10 months from August 2019 to June 2020 at various locations across Cardinia Shire.
About the program
Participants act as a community mentors to build leadership skills in themselves and others, while promoting health, wellbeing, connection and high participation in local and municipal community life.
The program develops a sustainable leadership framework that is inclusive, accessible and meets the needs of our diverse community.
The program is designed to:
- build capacity to address community challenges and generate local solutions.
- get you ready for community leadership roles and to be part of decision-making processes.
- strengthen relationships and networks between participants, Council, and community groups and organisations, based on valuing and respecting diversity and inclusion.
Am I eligible?
You must be:
- a resident of Cardinia Shire
- 18 years or over
- already involved in the local community in some way
- able to attend all program sessions.
Skills to be developed
Participants will work with Council and Leadership Victoria to develop skills, and build capacity and knowledge in:
- strategic planning and project management
- strategic thinking and project planning
- goal setting
- what makes a good leader and good leadership qualities
- leadership without authority
- leading through change and adversity
- leading and working collaboratively to achieve important outcomes
- effective interpersonal skills
- identifying local community challenges and issues and solutions
Ways of learning
Participants will learn by:
- working collaboratively in small groups
- going on site visits
- hearing from guest speakers including local leaders, who will share their lived experiences and stories from the field
- having access to previous participants in the program.
Feedback from previous program graduates
"I can't thank Cardinia Shire Council and Leadership Victoria enough for this program. I feel I am not just a better leader, but a better stronger person for having completed this course."
"Thank you so much to Cardinia Shire Council and Leadership Victoria for the wonderful opportunity to be a part of this program. Thank you for the content and delivery of the program and for pushing us out of our comfort zone and into greater things."
"Thank you so much for my new friends. It is wonderful to be able to support one another in our projects for a stronger community".