Cardinia Community Leadership Program
- The Cardinia Community Leadership Program is a free program for emerging community leaders aged 18 and over who live in Cardinia Shire.
- Participants will build and strengthen their capacity in community leadership and participation so they can become even stronger and more effective leaders in local, groups, schools, organisations or neighbourhoods.
- The program runs from July to November at various locations across Cardinia Shire.
Applications for the 2022 program have closed. Applications for the next program will open in May 2023.
About the program
- Participants will build and strengthen their capacity in community leadership and participation so they can become even stronger and more effective leaders in local groups, schools, organisations or neighbourhoods.
- Graduates of the program will join a select group of past graduates who are actively demonstrating leadership in the Cardinia Shire community.
- The program has been running since 2017.
The program is designed to:
- build capacity to address community challenges and generate local solutions
- get you ready for community leadership roles and to be part of decision-making processes
- strengthen relationships and networks between participants, Council, and community groups and organisations, based on valuing and respecting diversity and inclusion.
Am I eligible?
You must be:
- a resident of Cardinia Shire
- 18 years or over
- already involved in the local community in some way
- able to attend all program sessions.
Skills to be developed
Participants will work with Council and Leadership Victoria to develop skills, and build capacity and knowledge in:
- strategic planning and project management
- strategic thinking and project planning
- goal setting
- what makes a good leader and good leadership qualities
- leadership without authority
- leading through change and adversity
- leading and working collaboratively to achieve important outcomes
- effective interpersonal skills
- identifying local community challenges and issues and solutions
Style of learning
The program will be delivered in person and in line with COVID-19 restrictions.
Participants will learn by:
- working collaboratively in small groups
- going on site visits
- hearing from guest speakers including local leaders, who will share their lived experiences and stories from the field
- having access to previous participants in the program.
2022 program dates and information
- The program runs from July to November at various locations across Cardinia Shire. See session dates and times below.
- Outside session ‘homework’ and group work is also required.
- A full -day, hands on experiential activity will be provided in addition to the program dates below. This element of the program is not mandatory but is highly recommended.
Feedback from previous program graduates
I feel I am not just a better leader, but a better stronger person for having completed this course.
Thank you so much for the wonderful opportunity to be a part of this program. Thank you for the content and delivery of the program and for pushing us out of our comfort zone and into greater things.
Thank you so much for my new friends. It is wonderful to be able to support one another in our projects for a stronger community.