Hard and bundled green waste collections
Check your hard and bundled green waste collection week
When to leave your items out
- Waste must be out by 6am on the Monday of the start of your collection week. Late waste will not be collected.
- Waste can be put out the weekend before the collection starts. Waste put out earlier may be investigated as dumped rubbish.
- Unacceptable items and late waste that is not collected must be returned to the property within 7 days. Dangerous goods, hazadous waste and domestic garbage must be removed immediately.
What we collect
Up to 2 cubic metres of:
- hot water systems
- household items
- mattresses and bed bases
- mirrors or glass (securely wrapped and labelled)
- old tools
- paint tins (empty and lids off)
- scrap metal
- small car parts (no springs and less than 50 kilograms)
- timber (no more than 12 pieces, no longer than 1.5 metres, neatly stacked)
- tree branches (must be tied up or ‘bundled’ with string and be less than 1.5 metres long and 15 centimetres wide)
- whitegoods (remove fridge and freezer doors for safety), TVs and computers.
What we do not collect
Unacceptable items will not be collected and must be returned to the property promptly.
We do not accept:
- asbestos sheeting
- barbed wire
- building or renovation materials
- car bodies, springs and engine blocks
- cement/concrete sheets
- chemicals and their containers
- bags of regular household rubbish (place these in your garbage bin)
- fence panels
- fencing wire
- fire extinguishers
- gas bottles
- glass that is unwrapped or broken
- green waste in plastic bags, or that isn’t tied up (bundled)
- LPG cylinders
- paint and liquids
- soil, rubble and bricks
- solar panels
- tree stumps or roots over 30kgs
- water tanks (either whole or cut up)
Pile size and how to organise it
Waste must not be over 2 cubic metres, longer than 1.5 metres and must not be too heavy for two people to safely carry.
Stack items in 5 piles
- General waste
- E-waste (any items with a plug, battery or cord at the end of its useful life)
- Scrap metal and whitegood (remove fridge and freezer doors for safety)
- Mattresses and couches
- Green waste (must be bundled)
These will be collected by different vehicles at different times during the collection week.
Extra bundled green waste collection
If you want to get rid of extra green waste above this amount, you can book to get an extra 3 cubic metres of bundled green waste collected for $60. Please book at least 2 weeks before your hard and bundled green waste collection week. To book call us on 1300 787 624
Other ways to dispose of hard waste
Sell it or give it away
- Hold a garage sale – you could host a sale as part of the Garage Sale Trail
- List items on a buy swap and sell group on Facebook, such as Pakenham Buy Swap Sell
- Offload items on sites such as eBay, Gumtree or Freecycle
- Donate it to a local charity – find op shops around your area. Some charities will even pick up items for free if they are good quality, such as Diabetes Victoria
You can put pots and pans and plastic toys into your recycling bin
Hard waste is changing late 2020
Following the final shire-wide hard waste collection in April/May 2020, Cardinia Shire Council will move to bookable hard waste in late 2020. Each household in the Shire receiving Cardinia Shire waste services and paying the General Garbage Charge on their rates will be able to book up to two hard waste services each financial year at a time convenient to them. Bookings will be available online and over the phone. We will provide more information including how to book, what items are accepted and limits on sizes in the lead up to the beginning of the service.
Moving to bookable hard waste will enable us to provide a more convenient and efficient service to our residents, increase diversion of waste from landfill and reduce the impact of large amounts of hard waste out at one time. It reflects actions in our Council Plan and Waste and Resource Recovery Strategy (2017-26).