Future waste initiatives in Cardinia Shire
We're always looking at smarter ways to manage waste. We need waste management that reflects industry changes, and supports our environment and growing community.
Separate glass collection service
As part of the Victorian Governments Recycling Victoria: A New Economy policy and plan, we're working towards meeting all of the specified requirements. This includes a separate glass collection service by 2027 for all Victorian households.
- Council has not set a date for the introduction of a separate glass service.
- We have decided to see the influence of the Container Deposit Scheme to understand how this may impact glass recycling, before considering possible timelines and options.
- At this stage, only a few metropolitan councils have begun glass collection trials. We'll be working closely with these councils, reviewing trial results and learnings to determine the best option for our community.
- We'll keep you updated on this process. In the meantime, glass bottles and jars can continue to be placed in the yellow lidded recycling bin.
Advanced waste processing – an alternative to landfill
We've partnered with other south-east Melbourne coucils to seek proposals from the waste industry for a smarter way to deal with household rubbish.
- Landfills in South-east Melbourne are filling up and with no more planned to be built, if an alternative to landfill isn’t found, large amounts of waste will need to be transported across Melbourne to other landfill sites for disposal.
- Cardinia Shire Council has formed a company with other councils to deliver an advanced waste processing alternative to landfill.
- South East Metropolitan Advanced Waste Processing Pty Ltd, will help councils deliver an advanced waste processing facility to process household rubbish instead of burying it in landfill.
- Together we’ll deliver a vital alternative to landfill that will transform how household rubbish is managed through the South East Metropolitan Advanced Waste Processing project.