Bin collection days and how to put your bins out
Temporary service interruptions due to COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting the delivery of services across the state, including some Cardinia Shire Council services.
In some cases, bin and hard waste collections are being delayed due to unexpected staff shortages and the need for our contractors to stagger staff working times. This may result in your bins or hard waste being collected on the weekend instead of during the week.
If your waste collection is delayed, please be patient and leave your bin or hard waste out as usual – it will be collected as soon as possible.
More info: Missed bin collections
About our bin services
Your general rubbish and recycling bins are collected from your property on scheduled days. An optional food and green waste bin service, collected once every 2 weeks, is also available for an annual fee.
Check which day your bins are collected
- Public holidays: Bins are collected as normal.
- Code Red Fire Danger days: Bins won't be collected from bushfire-prone areas such as the Hills, but they'll be collected in the following days (sometimes even weekends) so just put them out as normal.
- Extreme Fire Danger Days: Bins may be collected earlier than usual so make sure they're out the night before.
How to put your bins out
- Bins must be facing towards the road, with the handle towards your property.
- Do not over fill bins - lid must be able to be closed. Overflowing bins create litter, which can cause contamination. You can squash bulky items such as boxes and containers so you can fit more in your bin.
- Avoid placing bins behind cars and parking in front of bins. If you need to, you can place your bin in your driveway for collection.
- Leave 50 centimetres between each bin, and between bins and other objects.
- Each bin must not weigh over 70 kilograms.
- Bins should be returned to your property within 24 hours of being emptied.
If your property is in a court or T intersection
- Please place bins on the straight section - not in the bowl or 'T'
- Do not park vehicles in court bowl or 'T' on collection day this prevents waste vehicles from being able to turn and can disrupt collection.
Where to place your bins in a T intersection.
Where to place your bin in a court or dead end road.