COVID-19 information

The COVID-19 Online Help Hub has information on restrictions in Victoria, changes to Council services and facilities, government assistance available, COVID-19 health information and more. Visit the hub >

Do I need a planning permit?

You may need a planning permit to do certain things on your property, depending on where you live and the zones, overlays and particular provisions affecting your property. These rules are outlined in the Cardinia Planning Scheme.  

For more information go to the web page on zones and overlays

You may need a planning permit to:

  • do buildings or works on your house or a shed, garage or carport
  • build a house or multiple houses
  • subdivide land 
  • run a business or another premises from home
  • change the way land is used
  • display advertising signage
  • reduce or have car parking requirements (as set out in the Cardinia Planning Scheme) waived 
  • sell or allow people to drink alcohol at a premises
  • do earthworks
  • remove vegetation (trees and other plants) 
  • a combination of the above. 

Note that your property may also be subject to controls set out in our growth area plans, which are development and structure plans for your area.

To find out if you need a planning permit for what you are proposing to do on or to a property:

  1. Go to the Zones and Overlays tool on the VicPlan website
  2. Type in the property address.
  3. Zones and overlays that apply to the property will then show in the left column. Write down the names of these. 
  4. Go to the DELWP website to download the Cardinia Planning Scheme document.
  5. Once you have downloaded the document, press Ctrl+F and search the names of the zones and overlays which apply to the property to see whether you need a planning permit for what you are hoping to do. 

Planning schemes are complex documents, so call our Statutory Planning team if you need advice on 1300 787 624.

Do I need a Planning Permit?

To find out if you need a planning permit you can apply online through our Planning Portal or complete our General Enquiry Application Form:

Do I need a Planning Permit? - Apply online or download an application form

Ready to apply?

Now that you have established that you do need a Planning Permit it may be a good idea to talk to us before you apply. Call our Statutory Planning team on 1300 787 624 (we may be able to give you the advice you need over the phone) or alternatively, submit the online or printable form below to request pre-application advice before you lodge your application. Applying for pre-application advice is not compulsory but we do recommend applying for pre-application advice if you have a complex application.

A planning officer will review the information provided in the form, provide written advice and may potentially contact you for a meeting. Meetings are usually arranged within 2 weeks of us getting the request, and are held at our civic centre at 20 Siding Avenue, Officer (Open the location in Google maps). Please ensure you submit supporting documents with your application.

Online form  – request pre-application advice 

Download a printable form – request pre-application advice

Do not start works unless you are absolutely sure you don’t need a permit or you have already got one.