Do I need a planning permit?
You may need a planning permit
You may need a planning permit to do certain things on your property, depending on where you live and the zones, overlays and particular provisions affecting your property. These rules are outlined in the Cardinia Planning Scheme.
For more information go to the zones and overlays web page
You may need a planning permit to:
- do buildings or works on your house or a shed, garage or carport
- build a house or multiple houses
- subdivide land
- run a business or another premises from home
- change the way land is used
- display advertising signage
- reduce or have car parking requirements (as set out in the Cardinia Planning Scheme) waived
- sell or allow people to drink alcohol at a premises
- do earthworks (cut or fill)
- remove vegetation (trees and other plants)
- a combination of the above.
Note that your property may also be subject to controls set out in our growth area plans, which are development and structure plans for your area.
Check if you need a planning permit
To find out if you need a planning permit, you can request advice by applying online via the e-planning portal, or downloading a form.
Alternatively, you can call our Statutory Planning Team if you need advice on 1300 787 624
Request advice before you apply for a planning permit
Once you've established that you need a planning permit, it may be a good idea to talk to us or request pre-application advice before you apply for the permit - especially if you have a complex application.
Call our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 787 624 (as we may be able to give you the advice you need over the phone).
Request advice online
- If you prefer, you can submit the form below to request pre-application advice before you apply for your planning permit.
- Please make sure you include supporting documents with your application.
A planning officer will review the information in the form, give you advice in writing, and may contact you for a meeting.
Before you start any works
Do not start works unless you are absolutely sure you don’t need a permit or you have already got one.