Reducing harm from tobacco, alcohol, drugs and gambling
Addiction to tobacco, alcohol, drugs and gambling can have a harmful impact on individuals, their families and the broader community.
Harms can include:
- burdens on a person’s health
- job security
- social isolation
- community safety
- Quitline – 13 78 48
- Stepping Up – 1800 828 466
- Alcohol and Drug Foundation –1300 85 85 84
- SECADA Drug and Alcohol Recovery Support – 1800 142 536
- Directline – 1800 888 236
- Windana Drug and Alcohol Recovery– 9529 7955
- Ermha365 – 1300 376 421
- Narcotics Anonymous – 9525 2833
- Gambler's Help – 1800 858 858
What we're doing about tobacco, alcohol, and drugs
Gambling in Cardinia Shire
Losses to electronic gambling machines (EGMs or 'pokies') in Cardinia Shire has exceeded $436 million since June 1 1993.
Under the Gambling Regulation Act 2003, a local government authority may:
- stipulate trading hours and maximum patrons in a venue
- make a submission for assessment of applications for approval of gaming machines, or a gaming premises
What we're doing
- Continually assessing the social impact of electronic gaming machines
- Responsible Gaming Policy
- Statements of reasons in relation to gaming decisions made by the VCGLR are published on Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) website.
- For searchable decisions, see the Australasian Legal Information Institute website.
- Dates and details for upcoming gaming inquiries and hearings are on the current gaming list.
- For more information on gambling legislation and requirements please refer to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) website
- Alliance for Gambling Reform