Community Food Strategy
About the strategy
The Community Food Strategy 2018–26 aims to establish a healthy, delicious, sustainable and fair food system for all residents of Cardinia Shire.
- The strategy is the first of its kind for Cardinia Shire.
- To help shape the strategy, extensive community consultation took place between February to September 2018.
- It provides integrated strategic direction and action to focus and align all of Council's existing and future work across the food system.
- It identifies the issues facing the municipality and sets out a plan for how we can work together as an organisation, and with the community, to ensure future generations have access to affordable, nutritious food.
The strategy's 5 key areas
- Protect and utilise fertile land as a source of fresh food for current and future generations.
- Grow a vibrant local food economy which supports growers and enables people to access locally produced food.
- Enhance food knowledge, skills and culture within schools, workplaces, clubs and the wider community.
- Reduce and divert food waste from landfill and reuse water to grow food.
- Build capacity across the community to lead, participate in and support food system work.
To get involved, visit the Cardinia Food Movement website.