Burning off outside the Fire Danger Period

The CFA-declared Fire Danger Period in Cardinia Shire is scheduled to start on Monday 19 November 2018. 

When this happens, the burning off rules outlined below will change.

For more information go to the CFA website


As it is now outside the Fire Danger Period, burning off MAY be permitted in designated burn-off areas across Cardinia Shire, provided you follow the conditions outlined in the Open Air Burning Policy

Do not burn off until you have followed the steps on this web page to work out if you are allowed to burn off on your property. You may be fined for burning off without the required permit. 

We understand how important it is to reduce bushfire fuel and encourage you to use these methods instead of burning off where possible:  

If you cannot get rid of your bushfire fuel using the above methods, go to Step 2.

Visit the CFA website to find out if it is a Total Fire Ban Day. Note, Cardinia Shire is in the Central district. 

  • If it IS a Total Fire Ban Day, burning off is strictly not allowed. 
  • If it is NOT a Total Fire Ban day, go to step 3.

To do this:

  1. Go to the Landata website and enter the property’s street address.
  2. Tick the box next to the property address and click the ‘next’ button
  3. Tick the box next to ‘Bushfire Prone Area Property Report (no charge)’ and click ‘View’ or ‘PDF’.

This report will tell you if you are in a designated bushfire prone area or not. You can also call us on 1300 787 624 to check if you can burn off. 

If you ARE NOT in a designated bushfire prone area: burning off is not allowed without a burning off permit. You can apply for a burning off permit here

If you ARE in a designated bushfire prone area: go to step 4.

If you ARE in a designated bushfire prone area, you are allowed to burn off on certain days depending on whether your property is under or over 20 hectares.

To find out the size of your land, you can:

  • Check your property’s certificate of title. If you don’t have one, you can order it from the Victorian Government’s Landata website – we do not store title certificates
  • get a detailed property report from the Victorian Government’s Land Channel website
  • Call our Statutory Planning team on 1300 787 624 to ask. We will provide this information free of charge over the phone, or you can request it in writing for a fee.

Once you have established the size of your land, go to step 5. 

Once you know the size of your property, you can burn off without a permit if you follow the rules listed in this table for your property size.

Conditions Property size less than or equal to 20 hectares (49.42 acres) Property size greater than 20 hectares (49.42 acres)
Days on which open air fires are permitted Friday, Saturday and Monday All days except Sunday
Number of open air fires permitted 1 3
Distance required between the fire and any structure 10 metres  30 metres

Fire break required

(that is, a clear area around the fire with only earth/soil and very low cut grass and no other materials that can burn)

3 metres 6 metres
Maximum pile size of  material to be burnt

8 cubic metres  

(that is, 2 metres long, 2 metres deep and 2 metres high)

64 cubic metres

(that is, 4 metres long, 4 metres deep and 4 metres high)


Finally, burning off is only allowed if you follow all rules below:   

  1. You cannot light a fire on a SMOG alert day. Fires are strictly not allowed on EPA-declared SMOG alert days. To check if a SMOG alert day has been declared, check the Air Quality web page on the EPA website or call the EPA on 1300 372 842.   
  2. You must register your burn-off with the CFA. Before you light your fire, you must register your burn off with the CFA so they don't get called out to your fire. 
  3. Fires must be supervised. A person 18 years or over with the means and ability to put the fire out must be present for the whole time the fire is alight. 
  4. The purpose of the fire must be to reduce fuel on your property. It cannot be lit for commercial or industrial purposes. 
  5. You can only burn dry vegetation. It must not still be green. Hard rubbish, household waste, flammable liquids or commercial or industrial waste is strictly not allowed to be burnt.
  6. Fires must not cause risk to other properties. 
  7. Smoke from the fire cannot reduce visibility on any roads.
  8. Fires must not cause problems for other people. It must not be unreasonably offensive or a nuisance to another person – particularly from the smoke it creates. 
  9. You need to put the fire out if an authorised person tells you to. Fires must be immediately put out if a member of an emergency service or Council officer directs you to do this.

If your fire meets all these conditions: you can burn off.

If you ARE NOT able to meet all these conditions: you can apply for a burning off permit.

Refer to the Open Air Burning Policy or contact the Emergency Management team on 1300 787 624.