No burning off in the Fire Danger Period
- We are now in the Fire Danger Period for the 2021-22 fire season.
- During the declared Fire Danger Period we will not issue a permit to burn. If you need a permit for an essential burn, you'll need to apply for a permit from the CFA. If you don't get a permit, you could be breaking the law and may be prosecuted.
- To apply for a permit visit the Fire Permits Victoria website
Better alternatives to burning off
Here are some good ways to get rid of green waste. Opt for these if you can, rather than burning off.
- Book a hard waste collection
- Use a green waste kerbside bin - you can order one here if you don't have one. It's collected every 2 weeks.
There are also a number of privately run tips, transfer stations and waste facilities that will take your green waste for a fee.
Total Fire Ban days
- The CFA can declare a Total Fire Ban Day at any time during the year.
- No fires are to be lit in the open air on Total Fire Ban Days unless you have a special permit.
- To check if it's a Total Fire Ban Day, visit the CFA website. Note: Cardinia Shire is in the Central District.
Report illegal burning off during the Fire Danger Period
As we are now in the Fire Danger Period, burning off is strictly not allowed and is a matter for Victoria Police.