Coronavirus (COVID-19) update - Playgroups
Playgroup and supported playgroup sessions have been cancelled until further notice.
Find a playgroup
To find playgroups in Cardinia Shire run by members of the community, go to the 'Find a playgroup' web page on the Playgroup Victoria website and type 'Cardinia' into the municipality field.
Supported playgroups, such as Smalltalk Playgroup, are for disadvantaged or vulnerable families to give children (aged up to 4) opportunities to play, while supporting parents and carers with referrals and professional assistance. Supported playgroups are free and funded by the Victorian Government.
- We coordinate and facilitate Smalltalk playgroups at venues across Cardinia Shire. A Council staff member attends each session.
- Smalltalk is evidence-based and offers learning activities through play as well as support for parents.
Are we eligible?
To be eligible for Smalltalk, you or your child must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- Be in kinship/out of home care arrangements
- Referred from Child FIRST/Child Protection
- Referred from or participating in Enhanced Maternal and Child Health Services
OR hold one of the following cards:
- a Commonwealth Health Care Card
- a Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card
- a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card or White Card
- Refugee visa (subclass 200)
- In-country Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 201)
- Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202)
- Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa (subclass 786)
- Protection visa (subclass 866)
- Emergency Rescue visa (subclass 203)
- Woman at risk visa (subclass 204)
- Bridging visas A-E
Some parents may also be eligible to receive in-home support sessions. A qualified facilitator will visit families in their home once a fortnight during school terms and support them to practice Smalltalk strategies.