Maternal and child health (MCH)
About Maternal and child health
Our Maternal and Child Health service is free and confidential, and provides Cardinia Shire residents with:
Your 10 MCH visits
Our liaison midwife will contact you soon after the birth of your baby to arrange your first MCH visit, which usually takes place in your home. We pre-book your first 4 centre visits up to 4 months, with future appointments then arranged by your nurse each time you visit the centre. You can also call our admin team on 5943 4250 between 9am and 4pm weekdays to make or change a booking.
- Home visit (newborn)
- 2 weeks
- 4 weeks
- 8 weeks
- 4 months
- 8 months
- 12 months
- 18 months
- 2 years
- 3 and a half years
For more information about the Maternal and Child Health Service go to the Better Health Channel
Your child's information
- Your child will have their own electronic child health record on the Child Development Information System (CDIS).
- CDIS is a statewide program. It allows your child's MCH information to be accessed at any MCH centre across Victoria.
- Your MCH nurse will talk to you about CDIS and give you a fact sheet at your first visit.
Make or change an appointment
Visits to MCH centres are by appointment only.
To book or change an MCH appointment call our admin team on 5943 4250 between 9am and 4pm weekdays.
MCH centre locations and opening hours
For information go to the Locations and opening hours page
Additional Maternal and child health services
- The Enhanced MCH service is available for parents who are having significant early parenting difficulties.
- Our workers can visit families at home, or another location, to offer support.
- Referrals to the Enhanced program are made through the MCH nurse at your local centre
More info: Additional MCH services
Information and support groups
Your MCH nurse can provide a referral to support groups including:
First-time parent group
The first-time parent group is a free, five-week program to support new parents.
Starting your journey as new parents can be an exciting, yet challenging experience. At our first-time parent groups, you will:
- build social connections with other new parents from your area,
- receive information about services available to support with transitioning to parenthood,
- learn about self-care strategies
- learn about your baby’s health and development, safety, sleep & settling
- learn more about introduction to family foods
- establish links within your community.
Both parents, caregivers, or support people are encouraged to attend. The group is inclusive and supportive of all new families.
Sleep and Settling Program
The Sleep and Settling Program supports parents and caregivers who have a sleep and settling concern with their child.
Families in the Cardinia Shire can access free online information sessions, or arrange for free one-on-one support with one of our qualified team members.
These sessions provide information appropriate to your family's needs and the child's developmental age, covering:
- Typical sleep patterns and behaviours
- Preventing sleep concerns
- Solutions and strategies for sleep concerns
- Support and self-care
Three age-specific group sessions are offered online and in-person including:
- Newborn to 3 months
- 4 to 12 months
- 18 months to toddler
Various dates, times, and locations are available in Cardinia Shire.
Make a booking to a group sleep information session online at TryBooking:
For families requiring additional support: free individual home visits or telephone support with a Sleep Consultant can also be requested. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and address it to the MCH Team.
The Smalltalk Program supports parents to enhance their child’s learning and development.
Smalltalk playgroups are available at various venues across the shire. In-home support with an experienced facilitator can also be arranged for eligible parents.
- young mums
- supported playgroups
After hours advice
Extreme Fire Days: On CFA-declared 'Catastrophic' days (and some 'Extreme' days) some MCH centres will be closed. You can check fire danger ratings for the Central District on the CFA website or call us on 5943 4250 to check if your centre will be open. If a centre is closed, we'll contact you to discuss your appointment.
Fax: 03 9005 3772