Report a problem with an animal

Under our Local Law 17 (section 43), if you have animals on your property you must take all reasonable steps to prevent them from making unreasonable noise. 

It is normal and healthy for animals to make noise, for example, for a dog to bark. However, it is not reasonable for it to bark continuously or excessively. 

  • barking dogs or noisy cats
  • dogs or cats creating a health risk
  • dogs or cats being repeatedly on their property without their permission
  • dogs wandering outside their owners' premises
  • dogs being off leash outside their property
  • dogs rushing at or chasing a person or animal
  • dogs attacking or biting a person or animal
  • excessive animal numbers. 

If you have an issue with a neighbour's pet, such as a dog that barks too much or a pet that wanders, we encourage you to speak to its owner and make them aware of the problem, or drop a letter in their mailbox. 

In the case of dogs barking, sometimes the dog's owner isn't even aware the dog is barking when they are not home. There might be something they can do straight away to resolve the issue. 

However if you find that talking to the pet's owner has not helped, and the pet continues to be a problem, it may be time to report the matter to us.

There are many reasons your dog may be barking. See our barking dogs fact sheet for ideas on how to reduce excessive barking.


If you live near a dog or dogs that are barking continuously, excessively or during the night, follow these steps:

  1. Speak to the owner first to make them aware of the problem and let them know how it is affecting you. 
  2. If speaking to the owner does not fix the issue, report the issue using the Report a barking dog online form or by calling 1300 787 624. We will then contact you, and ask you to complete a noise diary to help us understand the problem. 
  3. Once you return the noise diary, we will be in touch and can then decide what action to take. 

If the noise stops, you do not need to return the noise diary to us.

Report a barking dog online

Report a nuisance pet online or call us on 1300 787 624 to report the issue. 

You will need to provide:

  • your name, address and phone number
  • address of the property where the pet lives
  • animal's description.

All personal details are kept confidential and are only used by us to keep you informed about your complaint.

Cat traps are available for hire to help eradicate feral cats.

Traps can be hired for a refundable deposit and a weekly fee, please call us on 1300 787 624 for the current fee and to book a cat trap.

We collect trapped cats during business hours. Trapped cats are taken to a veterinary clinic to be assessed. If the cat is confirmed as feral, it will be humanely euthanised at our expense. Domesticated cats will be taken to the pound.