Lost dogs and cats
- If your dog or cat has been lost, visit the Lost Dogs Home Cranbourne website to search for a lost dog or search for a lost cat. If this brings no result and you live in Cardinia Shire, please use the online form on this page to report that your dog or cat is lost.
- If you find your pet after sending us the form, please email email@example.com to let us know your cat or dog has been found.
If your dog or cat is missing
1. Search online for your lost dog or cat
2. Update your pet's microchip details
If you have recently moved or changed your contact details, update the microchip details as soon as possible on the Central Animal Registry website
2. Report your pet as lost
Complete the report a lost dog or cat online form
We’ll use the information you give us to check whether your dog or cat has been collected and taken to the Lost Dogs Home in Cranbourne.
You will be asked to provide the following information in the form:
- contact details
- how many dogs or cats are lost
- pet details such as name, breed and colour
- image of pet (optional)
Report a wandering dog or cat
If you have found a dog or cat that is lost, call us on 1300 787 624
When your dog or cat may be taken to the pound
Dogs or cats may be taken to the Lost Dogs Home in Cranbourne if they are:
- found wandering
- are not securely confined to a property
- have out-of-date microchip details, or
- the owners cannot be contacted.
Council officers consider a range of factors before impounding an animal, including:
- whether your pet has been out wandering before
- prior warnings issued for wandering or nuisance behaviour
- the time of day or night it is wandering.
How to make sure we can identify your pet if it goes missing
To help us reunite you with your pet in the event it becomes lost, make sure your pet:
- is registered with council
- is always wearing its registration tag
- the microchip information is accurate and up-to-date. To update microchip details go to the Central Animal Records website
It’s also a good idea to put a tag on your pet’s collar with your phone number and/or address.
What happens to animals taken to the pound?
Animals in the pound are held for about 8 days before being taken to the Lost Dogs’ Home, where their health and character is assessed. Suitable animals will be put up for adoption.