Register your pet
Please note: this year, we have extended the pet registration due date to Friday 10 May 2019.
- All cats and dogs must be registered with us as soon as they turn 3 months old, in accordance with the Domestic Animals Act 1994
- Pet registrations must be renewed by Friday 10 May 2019 (extended from the usual renewal date – 10 April)
- Your pet needs to be microchipped before it can be registered.
- If you have more than 2 dogs and/or 2 cats on your property you may need to apply for an excess animal permit.
- First-time registration and registration renewal can both be done online.
- You may be fined if you don't register your pet or renew its registration.
Register your pet for the first time
Your pet needs to be microchipped before you can register it with us.
What you need to provide with your application
- your pet's microchip number
- proof of microchipping. If you don't have your pet’s microchip details, contact central animal records
If you download a form, you can post, email or drop it in to us
Renew your pet registration
Use our online payment system to renew your pet registration. This system accepts credit card payments.
Update your pet registration details
If your pet has passed away or your have moved from Cardinia Shire
Please let us know if your pet registration details have changed by completing the online form below.
Please do this if:
- your pet has passed away
- you have moved from Cardinia Shire
- you no longer own your pet
Alternatively, you can call us on 1300 787 624 to update the details over the phone.
- If you are registering a new pet before 9 April, your pet will be registered through to April the following year at no extra cost.
- ·A Health Care Card does not qualify you for a pensioner concession.
- Guide or assistance dogs must be registered but there is no cost.
|Council registration fee||Victorian Government Levy||Total cost||Pension concession cost|
|Dog (not desexed)||$121.45||$4||$125.45||$64.70|
|Dog (over 10 years of age)||$36.75||$4||$40.75||$22.40|
|Cat (over 10 years of age)||$36.75||$4||$40.40||$22.40|
|Dog (obedience trained)||$36.75||$4||$40.75||$22.40|
|Dog (applicable organisation)||$36.75||$4||$40.75||$22.40|
|Cat (applicable organisation)||$36.40||$4||$40.40||$22.40|
|Dog (3 months of age or under, with written proof of age only)||Free for first year|
|Cat (3 months of age or under, with written proof of age only)||Free for first year|
|Dangerous dogs and restricted breeds||$200||$4||$204|
|Guide or assistance dogs||Free||Free||No cost||No cost|
Reduced registration fees
You can claim a reduced fee if:
- you own a desexed cat and/or dog
- you have a pension concession card (this is not a healthcare card)
- your pet is over 10 years old
- your dog is obedience trained
- your pet is a guide dog (no fee)
- you are a member of an approved organisation. (See below for a list of approved organisations).
If you wish to claim a reduced fee you will need to provide proof with your registration form. If you cannot supply proof, you may submit a Statutory Declaration which has been witnessed by an authorised person.
You can receive a discount on your registration if you are a member of any of the following organisations and your pet is registered with them:
- Australian National Cats
- Cats Victoria
- Dogs Victoria
- Feline Control Council (Victoria)
- Greyhound Racing Victoria
- The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria
Evidence of your membership is required, including certificate and membership number.
Benefits of paying animal registration
Registration fees do a lot more than providing pet owners a service to look for lost pets. The funds go towards: