Report a problem with an animal

Under our Local Law 17 (section 43), if you have animals on your property you must take all reasonable steps to prevent them from making unreasonable noise. 

It is normal and healthy for animals to make noise, for example, for a dog to bark. However, it is not reasonable for it to bark continuously or excessively. 

  • barking dogs or noisy cats
  • dogs or cats creating a health risk
  • dogs or cats being repeatedly on their property without their permission
  • dogs wandering outside their owners' premises
  • dogs being off leash outside their property
  • dogs rushing at or chasing a person or animal
  • dogs attacking or biting a person or animal
  • excessive animal numbers. 

If you have an issue with a neighbour's pet, such as a dog that barks too much or a pet that wanders, we encourage you to speak to its owner and make them aware of the problem, or drop a letter in their mailbox. 

When a dog is barking a lot: sometimes the dog's owner isn't even aware the dog is barking when they are not home. There might be something they can do straight away to resolve the issue. 

When a cat is wandering or causing a nuisance: the owner may not be aware that their cat is going into other properties. 

But if you have tried talking to the owner and the pet continues to be a problem, it may be time to report the matter to us.

There are many reasons your dog may be barking. See our barking dogs fact sheet for ideas on how to reduce excessive barking.


If you live near a dog or dogs that are barking continuously, excessively or during the night, follow these steps:

  1. Speak to the owner first to make them aware of the problem and let them know how it is affecting you. 
  2. If speaking to the owner does not fix the issue, report the issue using the Report a barking dog online form or by calling 1300 787 624. You will be then asked to complete a noise diary to help us understand the problem. 
  3. The dog owner will then be notified in writing that a complaint has been recieved, however your details will be kept confidential.
  4. Once you return the noise diary, it will be reviewed by the investigating officer, and actioned as per our Barking Dog Preoceedures.

If the noise stops, please advise us in writing, you can do this by emailing

Report a barking dog online

Cat traps are available for hire.

Traps can be hired for a refundable deposit and a fee (per week hired).

To book call us on 1300 787 624 

We collect trapped cats between 8.30am and 4pm Monday to Friday. If a cat is trapped outside of these hours it will not be collected until the following business day. We ask that you do not set traps over the weekend and on public holidays.

You can report a nuisance cat by:

You will need to provide:

  • your name, address and phone number
  • address of the property where the cat lives, and how you know this.

All personal details are kept confidential; we only use them to keep you informed about your complaint.