Before you burn off ...

The Fire Danger Period has ended in Cardinia Shire. Before you burn off, please ensure that you meet all the conditions and have registered your burn off beforehand. Click here to follow the steps to ensure a safe and legal burn off >

Report a dead animal on Council property

We pick up and dispose of dead animals on Council roads and land such as parks and reserves. For other roads such as highways and freeways contact VicRoads on 13 11 71.

We remove dead animals from Council property including: 

  • our roads
  • footpaths
  • nature strips
  • parks and reserves 

Domestics pets 

If you find someone's dead cat, dog or other pet, the kind thing to do is to look at the collar and contact the pet owner to let them know so they can come and collect the animal. If you would prefer not to do this and the animal is on a Council road, report the issue to us. 

Native and feral animals 

If you find a dead native or feral animal on a Council road please report the issue to us.

Report a dead animal on Council property

We do not remove dead animals on declared (VicRoads) roads and property, such as freeways, highways and arterial roads. 

To report dead animals on declared roads contact VicRoads on 13 11 70

We dispose of dead animals in agricultural emergencies. Our environmental health officers work with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning to do this.

Read more information from Agriculture Victoria about disposing of animals in bushfire, flood or drought