Property valuations

  • A valuation is an assessment of the amount a property would sell for on a particular date.
  • As required by the Victorian Government, all properties in Cardinia Shire were revalued in 2023. Your property’s valuation for 2023–24 is set at its market value as at 1 January 2023.
  • Properties in Cardinia Shire increased in value by an average of 13.01% from 2022 to 2023.
  • Revaluation of your property does not increase the total amount of rate revenue we collect. Instead, it determines the proportion of rates you need to pay relative to other property owners.

Valuer-General Victoria (VGV) is currently undertaking a revaluation of all properties in Cardinia Shire for rating purposes. These valuations will be used by Council for the 2023–24 financial year.

  • As part of the valuation process, property rental information is being collected from property owners, agents and tenants.
  • VGV’s appointed valuers, Westlink Consulting, are collecting rental information for commercial, industrial and other properties via a survey, in order to ensure that the returned valuations are accurate and that the impact of current market conditions is properly considered

Please complete the survey

We would greatly appreciate if Cardinia Shire ratepayers could please complete the online rental survey.

  • Authority to collect this information is in the Valuation of Land Act 1960
  • The information provided will remain confidential and will be used only for the purposes of the revaluation.

If you have any questions about the survey please contact Westlink on 03 8456 5126 or

  • From 1 July 2018, valuations were centralised and are now conducted annually by the Valuer-General of Victoria (VGV) as the sole valuation authority.
  • The VGV provides valuations to councils and the State Revenue Office for the purpose of setting council rates, land tax and the Fire Services Property Levy.

More info: Council valuations webpage on the DELWP website

All valuations are conducted in accordance with Valuation Best Practice Specifications

Like most Victorian councils, we use a property's Capital Improved Value (CIV) (CIV) to calculate the rates payable. To work out a property’s CIV, the valuers analyse property sales and rental data trends as well as factors including a property’s location, land and building size, and the age and condition of buildings.

The property's CIV is then used to calculate the rates payable on that property, as well as the variable charge component of the Fire Services Property Levy

More info: Council valuations web page on the DELWP website

  • The AVPCC and land use description assigned to your property are shown on your rates notice, just below the property details. 
  • Our contract valuers assign an Australian Valuation Property Classification Code (AVPCC) to your property, according to how your land is used. You can view the codes here
  • In accordance with the Fire Services Property Levy Act 2012, the AVPCC is used to determine your property's land use classification.


  • If  you don’t agree with your property's valuation, you can lodge an objection within 60 days of the issue date of your rates notice or supplementary rates notice (in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act 1960)
  • Even if you're planning to make an objection, you still need to pay your rates instalments by their due dates, otherwise you may be charged interest.

How to lodge an objection


Rating valuations objection portal

Request a form

The objection must be lodged using the correct form. 
To request a copy of the form, please submit the online valuations enquiry form or call us on 1300 787 624 to speak to a member of our Valuations team, who will discuss your options with you.

Next steps

Objections will be considered in accordance with the Act. If you object and are not satisfied with the outcome, you can take the matter to VCAT