- Councillors are entitled, under section 40 of the Local Government Act 2020, to seek reimbursement for expenses reasonably incurred in the performance of their duties.
- We support workplace equity, where all councillors are able to participate and perform in their role equally. As such, and in line with the Councillors Expense Policy, reimbursements may be sought for carer and childcare needs to ensure councillors can undertake their official duties as elected representatives.
- We also support the professional development of councillors during their time in office, including an allowance for professional development as part of the Councillor Expense Policy.
Annual Councillor allowance
Under the Local Government Act 2020, the Victorian Independent Remuneration Tribunal is responsible for setting allowances for the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Councillors.
The Tribunal has classified each Council into one of four Council allowance categories, and Cardinia Shire Council has been classified as a Category 3 Council.
On Monday 7 March 2022, the Tribunal made the Allowance payable to Mayors, Deputy Mayors and Councillors (Victoria) Determination No. 01/2022.
The current annual Councillor allowances are set at:
- Mayoral allowance $119,316
- Deputy Mayor allowance $59,658
- Councillor allowance $35,972
From 18 December 2022, the allowances will increase to:
- Mayoral allowance $124,469 ($10,372.42 per month)
- Deputy Mayor allowance $62,235 ($5,186.25 per month)
- Councillor allowance $37,565 ($3,130.42 per month)
Travel expense claim rates
- Vehicles more than 4 cylinders: 113.346 cents per kilometre
- Vehicles 4 cylinders and less: 93.414 cents per kilometre