Register a food business or renew registration

A food business in Cardinia Shire must be registered with Council to ensure compliance with all food safety regulations under the Food Act 1984. It is an offence to operate a food business without being registered.

This kit contains lots of info about setting up a food business. 

New food business information kit

Your business will need to be categorised as either Class 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on the types of food processes undertaken. An Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will ask you questions about your business processes and determine which class your business falls within.

Class 1 – Hospitals, child care centres and aged care services which serve high risk food.

Class 2 – Premises that handle high risk unpackaged food such as restaurants and cafes.

Class 3 – Premises that handle high risk food or high risk pre-packaged food, such as warehouses and distributors.

Class 4 – Activities considered to be very low risk such as the sale of shelf stable pre-packaged foods, uncut fruit and vegetables, some fundraising activities, and low risk foods served in kindergartens or child care centres.

Class 1, 2 and 3 premises must register with Council. Registration must be renewed each year in December.

Class 4 premises must provide a one-off notification to Council of their activities. You can do this by submitting this form

Get info on which class your food business is in

A Certificate of Registration under the Food Act 1984 will be issued, allowing you to open your business to the public, once you have submitted the following: 

  • a completed application form to register your food business
  • a copy of the Food Safety Supervisor Certificate (for Class 1 and 2 premises)
  • a food safety program document (for Class 1 and 2 premises) 
  • final inspection and approval of your premises by an Environmental Health Officer
  • payment of the applicable registration and establishment fee.

Before you apply, you will also need to find out what other permits or exemptions may be required, such as:

  • From 1 July 2021, it's no longer possible to transfer a food business registration. Instead, if you're the new proprietor you'll need to apply for a new food business registration. The registration of the previous proprietor will then be cancelled.
  • These are due to amendments to the Food Act 1984

If you sell your business or permanently stop trading for any reason, please email with the following information:

  • the business details
  • the date you will stop trading

A pro-rata refund of paid registration/renewal fees may apply depending on the time of year you sell or close your business.

Without written advice, you may continue to receive information and reminders from Council.

For information go to the page on renewing registration

For help with your application contact our Environmental Health team on 1300 787 624