Princes Highway intersection upgrades
- Several priority intersections along the Princes Highway in Cardinia Shire will be upgraded over the next 3 years as part of our Better Local Roads Project.
- This key infrastructure project will provide safer travel for all road users, while reducing congestion and catering to future increases in traffic.
- Works on the intersection upgrades at O'Neil Road in Beaconsfield and Glismann Road/Beaconsfield Avenue in Beaconsfield are now underway.
$36 million project
- Australian Government contribution: $17.8 million from its Urban Congestion Fund.
- Council contribution: $18.3 million from its Developer Contribution Plan.
What the works will include
These intersection upgrades will include:
- road widening
- addition of dual right turn lanes (only if required)
- addition of bus lane (Princes Hwy) (only if required)
- pavement construction
- kerb and channel construction
- drainage works
- guardrails and line-marking.
Upgrade of O'Neil Road and Princes Highway intersection, Beaconsfield
Works will include:
- a fully signalised t-intersection with dual right turn lanes
- the addition of bus lanes on the Princes Highway
- dedicated signals for cyclists
- improvements to drainage and connected shared paths from Desmond Court to the Princes Highway
- a new roundabout at Pink Hill Boulevard.
Detours and closures due to works
Due to sections of O'Neil Road being closed due to the works, detours will be in place from the start of January.
More info: Temporary road closures
Upgrade of Glismann Road and Beaconsfield Avenue intersection
The Glismann Road/Beaconsfield Avenue intersection upgrade is the second Old Princes Highway intersection project to take place, after O’Neil Road intersection works.
The intersection will be upgraded to be a fully signalised intersection with:
- upgraded street lighting
- pavement widening on Princes Highway
- a new left-turn slip lane into Beaconsfield Avenue
- extended right turn lane into Beaconsfield Avenue
- dual right turn lanes out of Beaconsfield Avenue
- extending Glismann Road to intersection
- pavement resurfacing
- underground drainage upgrades
- signalised bicycle crossings
- landscaping works.
Other Princes Highway intersections being considered for upgrade
Other intersections being considered for works as part of this program include:
- Brunt Road/Whiteside Rd, Beaconsfield
- Bayview Road, Officer
- Tivendale Road/Station Street, Officer
- McMullen Road, Officer
- Arena Parade, Officer
- Thewlis Road, Pakenham