Better Local Roads Program
The Better Local Roads Program includes all major road projects we deliver, including:
The Better Local Roads Program plays a significant role in building a better Cardinia and will help us deliver on our vision.
We are a progressive shire, growing in a planned and purposeful way to improve the lives of people in our community, now and for the generations to come.
You can view info about local roadworks, disruptions and detours here.
Better Local Roads projects are funded by sources including:
- the Australian Government
- Developer Contribution Plans
- Developers sealing road as part of planning permit obligations when a development is built
- Landowner special charge schemes
How the Better Local Roads Program will benefit the shire
More connected communities
Better Local Roads will help:
- connect our communities
- encourage a sense of belonging across Cardinia Shire’s 30 townships
- focus on partnership building and linking people into the future.
Better transport, services and more opportunities
Better Local Roads will provide better local services, transport, technology, education and employment opportunities.
- We’ll engage and consult residents and businesses on a number of our Better Local Roads projects.
- We’ll provide feedback opportunities and encourage you to have your say about these and other infrastructure projects on the Creating Cardinia community engagement platform.
The Better Local Roads Program has been developed in line with our Sustainable Environment Policy.
To help the environment, we:
- use recycled materials such as crushed glass and rubber
- consider the use of wildlife sensitive lighting where possible.
- carry out full biodiversity and cultural heritage studies wherever possible before building new roads.
- work with arborists, and environmental and indigenous groups when planning the Better Local Roads Projects.
- have developed comprehensive Tree Removal Guidelines which allow for removal of trees to be minimised, while considering safety, design and community needs.
- follow any necessary removal with a revegetation plan in accordance with our guidelines.