Our Road Programs
We're hard at work on our roads
- We're working hard on Cardinia Shire’s large road network via a wide range of initiatives we deliver, or help to deliver.
- We're also making some important changes to the way we manage the road network.
Road Building Program
Road Maintenance Program
How big is the road network that Council looks after?
- about 859 kilometres of unsealed roads (that’s about the same as the distance between Melbourne and Sydney)
- about 720 kilometres of sealed roads
The drain network we maintain includes:
- about 1,100 kilometres of surface drains
- about 827 kilometres of drainage pipes
- abotu 30,000 drainage pits
- 239 vehicular/pedestrian bridge and major culvert structures
- around 80 water sensitive urban design elements such as wetlands/lakes/ponds/dams/rain gardens.
Keeping pace with our growing network
As the size of the road network and the shire’s population grows every year, ever-increasing pressure is put on Council resources to keep the road network in shape.
To meet these growing demands, we are making important changes to the way we look after roads so we can deliver some big service improvements.