Proposed road closures
Little Road bridge across Bunyip River, Iona
Council is planning to carry out works to permanently close Little Road bridge in Bunyip to vehicle traffic. The bridge will stay open to pedestrians and cyclists as a shared path.
Alternative river crossings are available at Thirteen Mile Road/Pitt Road and Bunyip-Modella Road/Evans Road (recently upgraded).
Reasons for the proposed road closure
- The bridge is an old timber bridge that has heritage significance as one of the last surviving bridges from the massive swamp drainage project following the 1934 floods, so it is important to preserve it. The proposed closure to vehicles will significantly prolong the life of this heritage bridge.
- The bridge has a 7-tonne load limit, which means it is of limited value as it cannot be used by agricultural vehicles.
- New bridges have been constructed to current standards at locations along Bunyip River over the last few years for larger vehicles to get across the river.
- If the bridge stays open to vehicle traffic it will need significant maintenance and possibly replacement within the next few years, which will mean losing this piece of valuable history. Replacement is estimated at more than $1.4 million.
- We will monitor surrounding roads for any impact caused by the closure and adjust maintenance schedules to address any impacts of the proposed road closure.
The feedback period for this proposed road closure has now closed.
A public hearing will be held at the St Joseph’s Catholic Church, 1215 Bunyip River Rd, Iona at 7pm, Tuesday 13 February, in accordance with the Local Government Act 1989 (the Act).
The public hearing is to hear from the two residents that requested, during the consultation period, to present their submissions in person to the Committee appointed by Council in accordance with the Act.
The Committee will consist of the Cr Graeme Moore and Cr Ray Brown (Port Ward councillors). After these two submissions have been heard, it will be at the discretion of the chair of the hearing, if any further submissions will be heard.
Council will also provide a short presentation with information regarding the Little Road bridge that may address some of the feedback received.
Following this public hearing, the Committee will make a recommendation to Council on whether to proceed with the proposed road closure.
If you have any questions regarding this public hearing please call 1300 787 624 or email firstname.lastname@example.org