Apply for an excess animal permit
- There are restrictions on the number of animals you can keep on a property, in accordance with Local Law 17. The Cardinia Planning Scheme may also impact your right to keep and use animals on land.
- The table on this page shows the maximum numbers of animals you can have for the size of your property.
- If you are planining to have more than the allowed number for your land size, you will need to apply for an excess animal permit each year.
- We will send you a reminder notice to renew your permit each year.
Animals exempt from this law
- Dogs or cats less than 3 months old.
- Large birds or poultry less than 12 weeks old.
Number of animals allowed without a permit
|Type of animal||Land less than 1000m2||Land less than or equal to 4000m2||Land greater than 4000m2|
|Large birds||5||5||Not limited by this local law|
|Chicken and other poultry||5||5||Not limited by this local law|
|Roosters||Not permitted||Not permitted||Not limited by this local law|
|Livestock||Not permitted||Not limited by this local law||Not limited by this local law|
|Maximum total of animals of any kind||20||20||Not limited by this local law|
$85 per year (no GST)
- Fees are due by 10 April each year.
- Annual permit is valid until April 2023
You can apply online or download an application form.
Applying and paying online (this is a secure payment) is easier for you, and means we can process your application more quickly.
Download an application form
Download a form then post, email or drop the form to us.
Excess animal permit application
Cardinia Shire Council Customer Service Centre
You can pay using the online form. If you have posted or emailed your form, you can pay over the phone or in person.
Pay over the phone
Call us on 1300 787 624 to pay with your credit card.
Pay in person
Council’s Customer Service Centre
20 Siding Avenue, Officer.