Strategic Sealed Roads Project
We're improving the shire's sealed road network
- Council has invested $25 million into the Strategic Sealed Roads Project in 2019 to 2022.
- As part of the project, we’re proposing to seal about 40 kilometres of local unsealed roads in 7 locations across the shire.
- The Strategic Sealed Roads Project will create strategic links to existing sealed roads, in locations where they are needed most and where they will deliver the most benefit.
- Council will deliver the project over the next 2 years.
Roads to be sealed
- Main Drain Road: Denhams Road to Ballarto Road (Koo Wee Rup) - starting works November 2020
- Boundary Drain Road: Denhams Road to Koo Wee Rup Road/Station Street (Koo Wee Rup) - starting works November 2020
- Evans Road whole length (Bunyip)
- Bessie Creek Road: unsealed section (Nar Nar Goon)
- Denhams Road: unsealed section (Koo Wee Rup)
- Mt Lyall Road: Westernport Road to municipal boundary (Heath Hill)
- Armytage Road: Brown Road to LL Road (Officer)
- LL Road: whole length (Officer)
- Thewlis Road: Peck Road to Brown Road (Pakenham)
- Dore Road: whole length (Pakenham)
- Huxtable Road: whole length (Pakenham Upper)
- McGregor Road: whole length (Rythdale)
- Soldiers Road: from McGregor Road to Hobson Road (Rythdale)
- Hobson Road: Ballarto Road to Soldiers Road (Rythdale)
How the project will benefit road users
This project will deliver 40 kilometres of new, sealed roads that will:
- connect existing sealed roads in the places they will deliver the most benefit – such as around schools and community facilities and in the highest-traffic areas
- reduce traffic on the local, unsealed road network which will result in less wear and tear and lower maintenance costs on these roads
- reduce environmental impacts associated with unsealed roads including run-off and dust, while improving comfort and service levels for road users.
How the roads were chosen
Qualitative data and a rigorous cost benefit analysis was undertaken to rank and prioritise the roads to be sealed under this program.
The roads that were chosen:
- provided the best links between existing sealed road networks
- were in the highest-traffic areas
- provided the greatest convenience for road-users
- provided the greatest safety benefits
- provided the most long-term cost savings (by reducing maintenance)
- were most requested by the community for road repairs and maintenance.
If you live on one of the roads to be sealed
You will receive a letter with details about:
- the proposed scope of the works
- when we expect the works will happen.
Main Drain and Boundary Drain roads, Koo Wee Rup
Scheduled start date: November 2020
Scheduled finish date: April 2021
What the works will include
- Pavement construction
- Kerb and channel construction (as needed)
- Construction of traffic calming devices (as needed)
- Drainage works
- Line markings
Impact of works
- Traffic impacts include temporary lane/road closures
- Presence of heavy machinery and work crews
- Some noise and dust
- Tree pruning and trimming
Residents will have access to their properties. Traffic management will be in place to improve safety.