Apply for a crossover permit or to do works in a road reserve
You need permission
If you want to do any works between your property’s fence boundary and a Council-managed road (the road reserve), or work on the road itself, you need to get a permit from us to do works within a road reserve.
Why do I need this permit?
We need to know about these works so we can be sure our road reserves and infrastructure are not damaged, and are returned to their original condition after works have taken place.
Works that require this permit
- Vehicle crossover works (eg. Building a new driveway entrance, changing an existing driveway entrance or building an additional one).
- Roadworks or maintenance
- Water/sewer connection
- Footpath and kerbing works
- Tree planting or removal
- Installation or removal of structures on the footpath or nature strip.
Infrastructure must return to its original state
As part of these works, the contractor/ works manager must re-instate affected infrastructure to Council standards. If this doesn't happen, we will re-instate at the cost of the contractor/works manager.
Can I do the works myself?
A qualified contractor needs to do the works. This is because public liability insurance to the value of $20 million is required in order to get a ‘Works within a road reserve’ permit. Please note that home insurance is not the same as public liability insurance; your home insurance does not cover you for these works.
Who pays for crossover (driveway entrance) works?
The property owner is responsible for paying any costs to do with works on a crossover, including fixing a crossover or building a new one.
The permit takes 28 business days to process.
The permit is valid for 6 months. If works have not been completed by this time you will need to apply for a permit extension.
If the application is for a community event, there is no fee.
What you need to provide with your application
- Contractor's details, including contact numbers of works manager
- Certificate of currency of your public liability insurance to the value of $20 million; please note that your home insurance doesn’t cover this kind of work. (See below for more info).
- The location, dimensions and type of works
- Traffic management details (if applicable)
- Contact details of the contractor who will be responsible for the reinstatement works.
If you cannot provide these details your application cannot be processed.
Apply online for a ‘Works within a road reserve’ permit
Download a 'Permission to do works within a road reserve' application form
Request to extend your permit
You can request to extend your 'Works within a road reserve' permit for another 3 months (maximum). To do this, email or send us a letter and include this information:
- your name
- the original permit number
- the reason you are requesting an extension
- how long you want the permit extended for
- when you plan to complete the works.
Cardinia Shire Council
PO BOX 7
Pakenham VIC 3810
If you have any questions about applying for this permit or doing the works contact our Engineering team on 1300 787 624 or firstname.lastname@example.org