Apply to do works in a road reserve

You require a permit to do works within a road reserve before you start the works. A Council engineer will need to inspect the site before you apply for the permit, and when you complete the works. 

Apply for a permit to do works within a road reserve

Works that require consent include:

  • roadworks and maintenance
  • installing or upgrading a vehicle crossing (such as a driveway entrance)
  • stormwater drainage and pit installations
  • footpath and kerbing replacement
  • water supply and sewer connections
  • road works
  • tree planting/removal or structures on nature strips/road reserves.

Consent is necessary to ensure that our road reserves and infrastructure are protected and reinstated to their original state after works have been carried out in the road reserve.

Fees are payable when lodging an application for consent and may vary depending on the extent of the proposed works.

  • $129.60 for works conducted on, or any part of the roadway, shoulder or pathway (minor works).                        
  • $83.60 for works not conducted on, or any part of the roadway, shoulder or pathway.                                     

Other fees may be applicable depending on the extent of works, see Road Management Act 2004.

Fees are reviewed annually on 1 July.

If you cannot provide the following your application will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:

  • contractor's details, including contact numbers of works manager
  • certificate of currency of your public liability insurance to the value of $20 million
  • details of dimensions, location and type of works
  • details of who will be responsible for the reinstatement works.

Contractor/works managers must undertake reinstatement of affected infrastructure to Council standards. If reinstatement work is not undertaken to Council standards, Council will re-instate at the cost of the contractor/works manager.